Potential change: Physx Section on CWE Library and SDK wiki

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Septarius

Potential change: Physx Section on CWE Library and SDK wiki

Post by Septarius »

The header at the top said to discuss changes on the OU forum but not which subforum so I picked this one. If it isnt right feel free to move it.
This isn't a high priority but I wanted to get it mentioned before I forget.

On the page http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... s_and_SDKs section about Physx it says "Note that the latest version of the PhysX driver (9.10.0513 [21]) only provides support for versions 2.7.1 and above of the SDK" The reference is http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.10 ... river.html the only place on that page I could see 2.7.1 was "Supports NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on GeForce via CUDA 3.0 for SDK versions 2.7.1, 2.7.3, 2.7.4, 2.7.5, 2.7.6, 2.8.0, 2.8.1 and 2.8.3 (requires graphics driver v196.21 or later)." I think that it is misunderstood that the driver wont work at all for versions of the SDK prior than that as I read it as it wont have hardware acceleration as the line at the top also says "Includes the latest PhysX runtime builds to support all released PhysX content".

I don't have the SDK currently to test compiling and running it with my 9.10.0514 installation (still waiting on nVidia to create my dev account). If it doesn't work on code compiled under 2.6.4 and then ran under 9.10.0514 then my case is mute.
I do know that I have ran MOULa with a later version of the client driver as it is updated by nVidia with new graphics drivers.
I hope that it does work with new driver versions as this could be a pain to have to reinstall after every new graphics driver update.

After I wrote this I went back and found another article with similar language at http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... CWE_Client so maybe I am wrong about this it just still seems odd. [Off-topic]We could probably fix the infinite loop described by the tech note by redistributing at least the 8.09.04 version of the Physx installer come time to do so[/Off-topic]
Septarius
AKA Noga56 on the Cyan MOUL forums
a'moaca'

Re: Potential change: Physx Section on CWE Library and SDK w

Post by a'moaca' »

I think you are right. I have... I guess it is 09.09.0814 installed and it works with 2.6.4 and 2.6.0.

As for the looping, yeah, you'd have to redistribute the new installer instead of the old one. Probably along with changing the name of the installer the client runs (newer ones have a different name). An annoyance I saw with this is the new installers are huge: 8.whatever is 50 MB compressed and that just takes a very long time to download through Uru. It is actually much faster for you to download and run it separately yourself first as described in the note.

- a'moaca'
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

If someone can confirm that the latest PhysX System Software works with SDKs earlier that 2.7.1 then I'll amend the wiki pages accordingly, no problem.

However one thing that I encountered (and I think JWPlatt hit this too) was that after having installed a newer version of the PhysX System Software, when I went back to use my vanilla MOULa client on MOULa, the launcher informed me that my PhysX was "missing or out of date" and insisted that I re-install the old one. I haven't had a chance to look into this any further, so I don't know why that happened or why it seems that it isn't a consistent behaviour :?
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Mac_Fife wrote:However one thing that I encountered (and I think JWPlatt hit this too) was that after having installed a newer version of the PhysX System Software, when I went back to use my vanilla MOULa client on MOULa, the launcher informed me that my PhysX was "missing or out of date" and insisted that I re-install the old one. I haven't had a chance to look into this any further, so I don't know why that happened or why it seems that it isn't a consistent behaviour :? .
Hmm... I recall that the both of you had installed the 8.09.04 system software. So if your reinstallation was due to a "does not support old versions" problem, then even 8.09.04 is not good enough.

I'd be interested to hear the results of 9.10.0514. For all we know that actually is better for 2.6.0 support, given my experience with 9.09.0814. Since I never specifically installed a newer version I have been assuming 9.09.0814 came from the SDK install. But I could have gotten it from some other game, too. So keep your eyes peeled for that.

- a'moaca'
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I just tested version 9.10.0513 of the PhysX System Software, and it seems to work OK with both the MOULa and CWE clients, and no sign of the prompt to re-install the original version :) .

As a'moaca' suggested, it was 8.09.04 I tried before, which seemed to attempt an in-situ update of the existing PhysX software (as did re-installing the old version), adding new support folders for later version of the SDK. This time it uninstalled PhysX altogether and created a fresh install in a completely different folder. There are support folders in there for SDKs back as far as 2.3.1, so I'll amend the wiki accordingly.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”