Avatar, Clothes, and Accessories

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Nalates

Avatar, Clothes, and Accessories

Post by Nalates »

We have the avatar files now. Last I looked they were in .max files. Looking for a way to convert the files for use in other programs I find it is rather difficult. Most people simply ask or recommend people ask someone with 3DS to convert them. I'm still sorting out if I can actually accomplish a conversion.

How usable the converted information will be is a question. Both from a practical aspect of modeling mechanics and licensing.

So, I'm asking what are the technical problems of building say a backpack outside of 3DS in regards to imports and exports?

What is the status of licensing in regard to the avatars? Can avatars be legally modified for use in fan ages? Can they be used in other platforms, think OpenSim?

Are we going to be able to handle contributions by those not using 3DS for avatar related items? I'm thinking shirts, pants, and... has anyone thought of hair-do's? :shock:

Going the other direction... By the end of August Second Life will be able to use alternate avatars. It will then be mechanically possible to take the Uru avatars into SL and use them. It is theoretically possible to do that in OpenSim now. The alternate avatars in SL/OS are not as flexible as the native avatars and lack emotes using mesh deformations. Many features, such as deformations, are coming after the initial roll out is completed. So, legal questions should probably cleared up soon.

It would seem avatar textures would be easily usable in MOULa, MOSS/CWE, and the SL/OS worlds. But, not working with 3DS & the Cyan plugin I can't make comparisons or experiment. AFAIK a UVMap made in any, most, modeling programs produces textures that easily migrate.

Will someone convert the avatar files and add them to the resources? May be to a Collida or OBJ format?
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
JWPlatt

Re: Avatar, Clothes, and Accessories

Post by JWPlatt »

Concerning licensing, there is no license yet. We will soon be trying our best to help Cyan speed up the process. In the meantime, the assets are there to explore and develop for your own use to get a head start.
Perfect speed is being there.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

I found where Andy talked about licensing on GoW in regard to the Avatar files. See: Andy's post. (fixed)

Some parts of the Cyan files were used, so Andy's files would seem to be a derivative work.

Whatever the case, the files are mostly not usable by those without 3DS. Until we have some licensing info from Cyan I would assume the files are for private use only.

Edit ---
Farther along in the thread is another post with info from Cyan legal, Tony. See: Cyan Statement. (fixed) This clearly gives the right to share and presumably distribute the files. However, there is nothing there about how the files may be used.

Edit ---
My browser or I went nuts and a number of copies of this post posted. I think I have it cleaned up.
Last edited by Nalates on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
andylegate

Post by andylegate »

Your 2 links go to some strange, wacky server btw.

@Making the Max Avatar Clothing files available to other programs:

First, before I go on about this, please realize that Cyan pretty much has wanted the fans to move forward with MOUL or OS based MOUL. Not Uru:CC, Alcugs, or anything else.
Of course, one wee bit of a problem with that, is the fact that any resource that they release would be in the form of 3ds Max files, as that is what they used. I do believe it was hoped that at some point, Fans that are devs would be able to figure out a way to adapt Cyan's Max plugin for free, OS programs like Blender, understanding that many people do not have access to earlier versions of Max.

That aside, it is completely possible to convert the Global Clothing files from Max to Blender, as far as having the clothing meshes (or hair doos) are concerned. The bone system can be translated also into a blend file. There is nothing mysterious or impossible about it. Only someone's willingness and time is needed.

However, there may be a problem, in that I have no idea if the GoW's PyPRP 1.6.0 or PyPRP 2.0 can handle "wiring" of the clothes. Only the devs for it could answer that, as I no longer use PyPRP 1.6.0, nor have I touched PyPRP 2.0 (Sorry, with 2 versions of 3ds Max and Cyan's plugin, and Drizzle, I have everything I need to make Ages either for Uru:CC, Alcugs, or even a MOUL based server. I can make everything that they (Cyan) can as far as functionality is concerned, so I have had no interest in pursuing Blender 2.5x and PyPRP 2.0).
Edit: Read that as my own personal tastes. I'm not saying that people should not use either of the PyPRP plugins, only what my personal preference is, and that I'm very lucky to be able to pursue what I'm more at ease with.

But again, there is no reason why the meshes can not be exported in such away as to have use of them in other modeling programs. I can think of 3 off the top of my head, and could even make a tutorial for one of the ways to get them into Blender. I do not know, however, if there is a way to use PyPRP (either version) to export the clothing from Blender so that it would work from there (the Max files are based on MOUL avatars, meaning, you could make female clothing, and it will work with Uru:CC or Alcugs. GPNMilano verified this. However, the Male avatar clothing will not work in Uru:CC or Alcugs until someone produces a bone structure that works for them).

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”