OpenSSL

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Phoenix

OpenSSL

Post by Phoenix »

Hi Guys

I am busy setting up a CWE/MOSS shard and need to compile OpenSSL on Windows according to the instructions on OpenUru.

Been hitting a wall trying to find a good tut for OpenSSL that is aimed at CWE requirements. Any pointers would be welcome.

Later
JWPlatt

Re: OpenSSL

Post by JWPlatt »

Topic moved from Building & Testing to CWE Client & Plugin.

I see our Wiki on building the client does not instruct you on building OpenSSL. It says "Compile and install OpenSSL" without an explanation of how to do that. Let's see if we can do anything to make that better, but maybe on a page of its own for novice level instructions.

I rather like the point of view that not everyone is an expert on such things and that we need to drill down into the detail. Keep in mind, however, that good instructions, like a good UI, adapt to the user whether they are novice or master. We don't want to frustrate masters by providing a lot of text that wastes their time, and we don't want to exclude novices who have the potential of becoming masters by leaving out the detail they need to get started. I would assume master level instructions, but use either collapsible sections to expand for novices or links to other wiki pages for certain instructions for novices.

I did a quick search for prepared instructions to compile OpenSSL on Windows and found a couple of pages to look at and adjust according to your environment:
http://www.ski-epic.com/2007_notes_on_o ... index.html
http://www.devside.net/guides/windows/openssl
Perfect speed is being there.
Stucuk

Post by Stucuk »

You can get a 0.9.8h compiled from Here.

Note: I know its not 0.9.8q but that shouldn't matter(I found a pre-compiled 0.9.8 months ago which wasn't 0.9.8q and it compiled fine with URU. Though no clue where i got it from).
-Stu
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

thanks for the link to the pre-compiler version nmake was giving me syntax fits.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I eventually got around to building OpenSSl 0.9.8q for myself. I can see why cjkelly probably didn't describe it in his wiki page on building the client; while it's not particularly hard, it is a bit unintuitive and convoluted, and requires a bit of work at the command prompt. I'll try to write up a wiki step-by-step for this, based on what I did.

Edit: OK, see this instruction: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... al_C%2B%2B
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
branan

Post by branan »

Thanks for doing that writeup, Mac. Like you said, it's not that hard, but it's a little weird if you've never built it before. It'll be good to have that around for people to reference.

I think we'll all feel a bit better knowing it's a little easier now for people to use the latest version of OpenSSL, instead of a precompiled old version.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”