Unicode Changeset

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
rarified

Re: Unicode Changeset

Post by rarified »

Adam and/or Branan,

When I commit the merged patches back to the CWE-ou repository, the individual identities of the contributors will be placed in the changegroup log, since there can only be one "author". Do you have a preference for the author name for such commits? I was simply going to use "H'uru Team" with no email address.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

You’re planning to squash a series of ported commits into a single one? Why not keep the individual commits with their original author names?
rarified

Post by rarified »

Christian Walther wrote:Why not keep the individual commits with their original author names?
Because many of the changesets cannot be applied directly; there is context from other non-included changesets in either the patched code or nearby that makes that difficult. And there will be other changes if I choose a less global method of dealing with the unicode/encoding python imports than redoing the module importer. I'd rather the functionality be summarized in a single change that stands on it's own merit. Yes, I know it will not mesh exactly with existing changesets, but much of the merge work will be no-ops because the code will be (nearly) the same.

I've got the initial changesets applied but am encountering some link errors that I'm working on right now. When ready, I'll push them to my fork and let you folks know where it is so you can eyeball it.

_R
Paradox

Post by Paradox »

rarified wrote:Adam and/or Branan,

When I commit the merged patches back to the CWE-ou repository, the individual identities of the contributors will be placed in the changegroup log, since there can only be one "author". Do you have a preference for the author name for such commits? I was simply going to use "H'uru Team" with no email address.

_R
It's a bit ironic after the fuss about a software bug stripping the ' from a'moaca' and the effort to make sure she got correct attribution, that the plan is to strip attribution entirely and hide the work of several people behind the mask of a faceless entity.
However, when CW did the repo magic on git and collapsed all the H'uru commits into a single massive commit, we used the name "H'uru Team" with the email address hurutesting on GMail (which on github is linked to the H'uru organization account). In that case though, the collapsed commit existed only on one branch, and the full commit history is available on the other branch.

As for your earlier question about the buffer variables, there's absolutely no functional difference. Since the lifetime of the buffer variables is limited to that function, there's no reason to allocate them on the heap (which is slightly more costly) rather than use stack variables. Stack is almost always preferable to heap, especially within the context of a function.
Leonardo

Post by Leonardo »

Christian Walther wrote:What Hoikas said. I have posted a comment on http://www.guildofmessengers.com/en/con ... tober-2011 and Leo has amended his wording. (It still sounds a bit exaggerated to me though.)
Just noticed this thread.
I'm sorry, these lines from the chatlog got all mixed up in my mind:
Adam {Hoikas}: Thanks for Christian Walther (hai CW!) we're working with the open uru guys to get some of our changes sent to CYan and into MOULa
Adam {Hoikas}: and this entire chat line is devoted to how awesome CW is. He does some seriously amazing work
Adam {Hoikas}: we have a few changes that will make life quite fun for you guys
Adam {Hoikas}: were hoping that theyll get into MOUL sooner rather than a lot later
Adam {Hoikas}: the most notable changes are:
Adam {Hoikas}: support for international (accented) characters in KI chat
It seemed that CW was the middle man between H'Uru and OU for porting the changes.
:oops:
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Hoikas wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:Adam, I haven't looked for myself but I get the impression by the number of changesets that the unicode stuff is larger than some of the simpler changes you have made. Could you generate some individual pull requests on Bitbucket for - just throwing out a number - the top ten of your smallest, most effective (favorite) changes to consider? i.e., bang for the buck.
Indeed, unicode is a very complicated change. I'll take a look at everything that I have contributed and see what would be most worthwhile with the least amount of work. It might take me awhile to get bitbucket pull requests made though--I am no VCS expert, and I'm unfamiliar with how to get my changes on bitbucket. I suppose that will mean rereading some of CW's post on the subject. For my own sanity, I will start with this fix (yay, one-liner).
Your patches have just increased in value with the relicensing coming along. How's it going?
Perfect speed is being there.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Right now, it's not. All of my classes just put the hammer down (Genetics test, Physics test, SURPRISE: boring Ecology test), so I really shouldn't even be reading the forum right now. I'll get back with you in a week or two. Sorry if my posts are really terse this week, I want to respond, but I just don't have the time to dedicate.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

@rarified:

I just relearned an important lesson: Never trust Microsoft's documentation to be correct nor its API to always work properly. I found a nasty bug in the input code--the fix should be making its way into the H-uru/Plasma master soon.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Noted, thanks.

But the next couple of hours will be spent merging forward the license changes amoung the repositories. :D

If you get a chance, could you describe the failure mode, so we can confirm the fix in our merge?

_R
branan

Post by branan »

@rarified

Have you decided on how you're handling the unicode/encoding bits, or are you just going to merge in the updated import system? I really think it's worthwhile to have python module support in the engine as a feature, regardless of this patch set.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”