Using symlinks

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Lyrositor

Using symlinks

Post by Lyrositor »

When using Minkata Shard, Gehn Shard, MO:ULa, and any other MOSS/DIRTSAND shard that's out there, your PC will quickly fill up with copies of the dat and sfx files. I come from a Linux background mostly, so I was wondering : has anyone tried symbolic links instead? I'm about to try it now on my Windows 7 to see if it works. If it does, maybe we could distribute symlinks with client installers so that people don't have to manually copy files over (assuming they have Vista and up, which is getting more and more common now that Windows XP is being obsoleted).

EDIT: It definitely works! So: what now? Batch script to do this automatically upon setup if OS >= Vista?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
JWPlatt

Re: Using symlinks

Post by JWPlatt »

Various shards are not always in perfect sync. During the recent upgrade, MOULa updated first. Then rarified updated Minkata when he got the chance. The GoW delayed their update a bit longer. Problems ensue if every shard expects the same file version.
Perfect speed is being there.
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

It's weird that this particular question gets asked and the obvious issue of unsynced shards is raised in the reply.

I've been looking at the problem and scratching my head recently......

My only question on symbolic links is security I don't run anything with elevated permissions unless it's VERY trusted.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

This should work fine once the random byte issue has been fixed. That is... until we get a content license.
MustardJeep wrote:My only question on symbolic links is security I don't run anything with elevated permissions unless it's VERY trusted.
You only need elevated permissions to create a symlink. After that you can use it as a regular user.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

JWPlatt wrote:Various shards are not always in perfect sync. During the recent upgrade, MOULa updated first. Then rarified updated Minkata when he got the chance. The GoW delayed their update a bit longer. Problems ensue if every shard expects the same file version.
Exactly. I've spent some thought on this, with the initial expectation of putting shard selection in with the login, but I quickly realized there's currently no realistic way for this to work. The client-authoritative model is far too dependent on having matching data, and not all shards are likely stay in sync for long, especially if (once?) there is a license to modify and repair the data. Best case is you end up patching all the time as you switch around. Worse case is you break your install. Worst case is you manage to break a shard. ;)
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

NEVER

I repeat, NEVER, login to a shard with modified or out-of-date data (PRP) files. Doing so can completely screw up age states and synchronization.
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

I know you just need to elevate the permissions to set them up, the issue I'm thinking about however is when uru servers become more numerous. You would be elevating it every time you turn around.

incorporatin some of the old ulm tech into the servers might be a better long term solution? One database of available ages and version tracking with unlimited mirrors. the individual server admins would just need to "check off" which versions they want to use.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”