VS2010

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Lyrositor

Re: VS2010

Post by Lyrositor »

But if H'uru managed to do it, couldn't there be like a downloadeable set of changes that would modify only the files required to make it compile under Visual Studio 2010, without having to modify the repository in the meantime?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
branan

Post by branan »

I'd assume changes to make the code compile on VS2010 would be accepted into CWE-ou, as long as they don't break VS2003. Dealing with the ballooning number and variation of project files for different versions of Visual Studio might start to get awkward. Fortunately they're already self-contained in a directory, so you should be able to add an MSVC10 project files directory right beside it.
rarified

Post by rarified »

I think things are not as clear (or dire) as Skoader believes.

Here's how I would approach adding the ability to compile under VS2010.

Assume we need to maintain the existing capability and project layout to build under VS2003.NET. So no moving of files around.

If C++ changes are required, encapsulate them in the code with conditional preprocessor blocks (#ifdef/#endif), preferably using compiler-defined symbols to differentiate the code between 2003 and 2010, so no additional solution file definitions are required. Obviously try to minimize where this is necessary to keep the code from becoming any less readable than it already is (so if a typedef change would suffice to make the code compile both under 2003 and 2010, I'd use that instead of conditional compilation).

Add a new set of solution files specific to VS2010 to the MsDevProjects/ directory hierarchy (or replicate the MsDevProjects tree to something like MsDevProjects2010/). Again, avoid introducing changes that require adjustments to the existing VS2003 build process.

Then bundle the changes into a pull request, and we'll see how it fits by building it both with 2003 and 2010. Minkata will likely still use the 2003 builds since only one version of the executables are currently present in the Manifests, and we'd have to deal with the potential for end-user confusion if we include alternatives. But the automated build will identify when something breaks for either 2003 or 2010.

I would think a project like that fits well into the CWE-ou repository charter.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Skoader

Post by Skoader »

rarified,

What you describe is pretty close to what I would have proposed. I'm reasonably confident that the majority of changes won't impact the 2003 build, but I can't test that to be sure.

I'd be looking at something like the following.

1. Issue a pull request with the required C++ source changes.
2. Check for any issues that arise in the 2003 build.
3. We tweak the changes as required, thus keeping conditional compilation to a minimum.

Does that sound like a reasonable starting point?
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

I'm probably the worst person to be chiming in here since Uru us at best a rainy day project for me, but to get it to build on vs2010 is pretty minimal. Rarified has the right of it maybe a dozen ifdef blocks to wrap the breaking changes and it could probably compile cleanly on both. (Ignoring the year of rainy days spent so I could say that legitimately... :lol: )

As a side note, While I love the thought of a "official" vs2010 compatible build I kinda hate to see the code straddle two compilers that are that far apart. But the ifdef blocks are a good compromise and looking at mantis most of what I've done fits cleanly into that style change.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Heh... Once upon a time, Plasma would compile with MSVC6 and gcc on linux. Makes MSVC7 to MSVC10 look like nothing in comparison.
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

Late reply....but yeah.

I'd be interested in knowing when the multicompiler support was added; personal guess late headspin early cyan. Its what four compilers tucked in there, still not sure what ps2 is or was back in the day.

My personal build I'm beginning to delete all that stuff just to squeeze a couple extra seconds off the build time. I'm not using it so it's just dead weight for me to parse thru me while working on other stuff.

P.S. Not sure if this is the best place but it's somewhat vs2010 related.... got plasma to compile zero errors using 7.0A Platform SDK.
johnsojc

Post by johnsojc »

MustardJeep wrote: ...still not sure what ps2 is or was back in the day.
Probably this... a circa 1987 IBM computer.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

It's probably the Playstation 2. There's a LOT of incomplete/stubbed console code in the original source release. Probably left over from Plasma 1, which actually supported many rendering pipes and lots of other cool stuff. Too bad we don't have the real subversion repository.
johnsojc

Post by johnsojc »

Consoles? We doan need no steenkeen' consoles... :mrgreen:

(Doh, I forgot there were some console ports early on...)

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”