VS2010

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Skoader

VS2010

Post by Skoader »

Is there any particular reason cwe-ou hasn't been updated for VS2010?
I'd offer to do the work required, but don't want to step on any toes.
branan

Re: VS2010

Post by branan »

It's my understanding that the OpenUru CWE repositories are meant (at least for now) to remain as compatible as possible with Cyan's existing build system and infrastructure. This means upgrades to libraries and compilers are likely not in the cards.

If you're interested in helping to work on CWE using the latest compilers, libraries, and technologies, I'd encourage you to come to the Dark Side and contribute to the H'uru fork.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yep, Branan's right. to ease the flow trying to get thing back into Cyan, we need to keep the best alignment we can with Cyan's build engine which still uses VS2003 and OU was asked to maintain a repo that as closely as possible matched Cyan MOULa code. So there's a kind of two-way flow: Changes that come in from the community get merged into a build that ought to be compatible with Cyan's code so the merge at their end is easier, then Cyan push out an "offical" version back to OU.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

It's worth repeating here, so that the facts do not get lost in the noise, that the Foundry is also capable of creating other build environments for community use, including VS2010 so that newer code can be tested on those platforms too. The VS2003 build is just one such environment. Obviously, it was important to our mission to get it done first.
Perfect speed is being there.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

JWPlatt wrote:It's worth repeating here, so that the facts do not get lost in the noise, that the Foundry is also capable of creating other build environments for community use, including VS2010 so that newer code can be tested on those platforms too. The VS2003 build is just one such environment. Obviously, it was important to our mission to get it done first.
For clarification, because I'm not entirely sure which you mean: are you saying that this is a service Foundry provides at this moment, or that it is something it can be configured to do and will provide as soon as that work has been done?
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I'm not an expert on this, but I think he means the latter. When you look at the configurations for Jenkins, there's only one, "default".
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

That's what I thought, but just wanted to double-check. :) Thanks.
rarified

Post by rarified »

To be a little more clear; all the tools such as VS2010 are installed on the windows builder right now. If a request comes in to build from a repository with those tools, we're ready now.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

So do you mean the actual code CAN be built with Visual Studio 2010, with no changes? If that's so, could we have those instructions ourselves (if there are specific instructions) so that we can build our own CWE-OU clients without having to require your time to do it?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Skoader

Post by Skoader »

Oh, I thought cwe would stay in line with Cyan, while cwe-ou was permitted a little more freedom, but clearly I was mistaken.
So the only options for those without VS2003 are to make the required changes themselves or join the Dark Side. *evil laugh* :mrgreen:

Thanks for the clarification.

Lyrositor,
No, the cwe-ou code won't compile under 2010 without some work. That's what I was offering to do.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”