Incomplete 1.906 push?

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Mac_Fife

Re: Incomplete 1.906 push?

Post by Mac_Fife »

Hoikas wrote:... If I wanted to do that, I would have emailed the FSF without telling anyone. I understand they don't like GPL violations ;)
Actually, the FSF say that you should report GPL violations to the copyright owner... which happens to be Cyan. That's been done 8-)

The point I was trying to make earlier is this is clearly just an oversight. An honest mistake. It's not like Westinghouse deliberately trying to avoid releasing their source after including Buzz-Box in their HDTVs. I don't think there's any intent on Cyan's part to withhold the Build ID. It does need to be fixed, hence why I started this thread, but it doesn't make sense to inflate the issue into one of impending doom. What I was more concerned about was whether or not anything else had been overlooked (it appears that there is not).
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Boq

Post by Boq »

While we are on the topic of GPL, I have question about Cyan EULA. Right now, anyone who wants to play has to accept lines like:
You may not:
(i) modify, create derivative works from, adapt or translate any part of the Client Application or Game Content;
(iii) offer for sale, sell, distribute, re-distribute, assign, rent, lease, sublicense or otherwise transfer any part of the Client Application or Game Content;
Shouldn't there be clear distinction between client and content?
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Hoikas wrote:... If I wanted to do that, I would have emailed the FSF without telling anyone. I understand they don't like GPL violations ;)
Actually, the FSF say that you should report GPL violations to the copyright owner... which happens to be Cyan. That's been done 8-)
As more and more of us contribute code to the client, we gain the power take legal action against entities that violate our license... Including the original copyright holder. The packaging of the client and python as a single work offer interesting possibilities in that regard (see anti-tivoization). While I do agree that forgetting the build ID changeset is a small omission [which is why we're not blowing our tops about it], it's still a violation of the GPL, which is very serious -- especially given that FSF lawyers could come knocking for something so trivial.

Given all that, I think we're saying essentially the same thing here: "this small thing is bad. let's fix it." I'm just hoping to impress upon everyone here how bad violating the GPL could potentially be.
Deledrius

Post by Deledrius »

This is a minor omission (and due to their build system, and easy one to make). It's not worth getting worked up over, and in fact doing so is likely to have the opposite of the desired effect.

While that's the case, the concern that I have with it is hoping that Cyan doesn't become complacent with pushing back their changes. They aren't the only copyright holders of the code they're now distributing in binary, as (unless I'm mistaken) no one signed copyright assignment agreements on submitting patches back to Cyan.

It would be problematic for them to make actual fixes and changes to the code, should they find the time and money to do so, but neglect to share those with the community.

I see the delay in the build ID commit as an opportunity to examine and refine their process for making sure they don't accidentally forget to share more important changes alongside new build binaries in the future.

GPL is a curse and a blessing, depending upon the day of the week. ;)
Marten

Post by Marten »

If source code is automatically generated...
... can it truly be called source code, anyway?
:mrgreen:
The music is reversible, but time is not.
kaelisebonrai

Post by kaelisebonrai »

Marten wrote:If source code is automatically generated...
... can it truly be called source code, anyway?
:mrgreen:
Yes it can, and seeing as the rules appear to have changed around here, I add the following ", you ass" >.>

Moderator's Note: Poster warned for failing to observe Forum Rule 2.
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

Um wow....er....ah....SERIOUSLY?

So go away coding for a couple months and suddenly GPL'er thread over a couple K worth of update not landing in the repo in a timely manner? I know the thread is old and all that but I just have to chip in my two cents.

1. You didn't see this coming from a mile away? The only other popular game company I play with that has longer silences coined the phrase "VALVe Time"....... :lol:

2. GPL was a horrific license choice in the first place (see source code), Uru has failed multiple times, Cyan as a company has failed multiple times, and GPL fans are some of the nastiest license trolls on the planet. I can't knock the programmer that took a hour to throw together a patch for a game I love even if it violated the GPL.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

We need a commit from Cyan that bumps the buildid to 912 in order to comply with the GPL.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yeah, already working on it. I think we'll be able to remember this from now on.
Perfect speed is being there.
D'Lanor

Post by D'Lanor »

Not just the build ID. As we speak nothing in the Cyan reference repo has been updated to 912 yet.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”