Incomplete 1.906 push?

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Mac_Fife

Incomplete 1.906 push?

Post by Mac_Fife »

I was looking at the repos this morning to see if Cyan had pushed out anything from the 1.906 update: I see that MOULSCRIPT has been updated with changes to psnlBookshelf.py and xLinkingBookGUIPopup.py which is pretty much what I expected, but there must also be changes to CWE since UruLauncher.exe and UruExplorer.exe have been updated, even if it's only the build ID in Plasma20\Sources\Plasma\NucleusLib\pnProduct\Private\pnPrBuildId.cpp :?:
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Hoikas

Re: Incomplete 1.906 push?

Post by Hoikas »

We didn't get the 905 build id update either, so this means that the last two MOULa clients are in violation of the GNU GPL v3 license.
charura

Post by charura »

Hoikas wrote:so this means that the last two MOULa clients are in violation of the GNU GPL v3 license.
I just scanned through and didn't see that at all...can you point me to the specific area?
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

We don't have the complete source code for the binaries provided. Therefore, Cyan is in violation of the GNU GPL v3.

You can tell because UruExplorer.exe identifies itself as "build 1.906" we have 1.902 in the hg repos here.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

It's not the biggest deal in the world because it's easy to infer what should be in that file (it just sets the '906' value) but it should have been part of the repo push.

I guess it drops off Cyan's radar as part of the update because at their end that file is created/edited by the build engine rather than being hand edited. So there's a kind of additional step needed in the process: After doing the bulk of the update they then need to wait until the final build is done and the change pushed to the live servers so they can fetch the final pnPrBuildId.cpp file to add to the repo push. It wouldn't surprise me if Chogon's "local" copy of the source code still has the '902' in it.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
kaelisebonrai

Post by kaelisebonrai »

...Um.. not the biggest deal in the world? Cyan is now in violation of the GNU GPL version 3. This is opening them to legal issues in the future. I suspect they'd rather not have that - along with the loss of reputation that comes with being gpl violating scumbags. The open source community takes such things very seriously. ;)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I will personally call Richard Stallman today and report these chuckleheads at Cyan Worlds for their egregious violations and demand that he take time away from his concerns about Google's Android to sue Cyan's ass out of existence. If anyone thinks they can get away with even three bytes of unreleased code, everyone will start doing it, then next thing you know, Microsoft will own Linux. If you all will start a discussion here and a corresponding wiki article, I'll send in the finished complaint to Cyan Worlds and carbon copy Richard in protest as my last official act for OpenUru.org this Sunday.

Moderator's Note: Poster warned for failing to observe Forum Rule 2.
Last edited by Mac_Fife on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Mod Note
Perfect speed is being there.
johnsojc

Post by johnsojc »

/me listens to the swooshing sound of JW's post as it passes over the heads of the uncomprehending....
semplerfi

Post by semplerfi »

JWPlatt wrote:<<<snip to sue Cyan's ass >>>snip
So swearing on this forum is Ok now? :lol:
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Unfortunately, with the GPL, even the tiniest nits (like the buildID change) must be picked. Otherwise, the license loses its validity. Specifically, in the eyes of legal systems around the world. Given the nature of some of the "worst" violations (blatant code stealing with credits removed, no source at all, etc.), we really don't want the license to lose any "power", for lack of a better term. Please note that by pointing out violations, it's not my intention to harm or troll anyone. If I wanted to do that, I would have emailed the FSF without telling anyone. I understand they don't like GPL violations ;)
JWPlatt wrote:I will personally call Richard Stallman today and report these chuckleheads at Cyan Worlds for their egregious violations and demand that he take time away from his concerns about Google's Android to sue Cyan's ass out of existence. If anyone thinks they can get away with even three bytes of unreleased code, everyone will start doing it, then next thing you know, Microsoft will own Linux. If you all will start a discussion here and a corresponding wiki article, I'll send in the finished complaint to Cyan Worlds and carbon copy Richard in protest as my last official act for OpenUru.org this Sunday.
Please explain why you think this post is relevant to the discussion.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”