Built the client

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Murf

Built the client

Post by Murf »

Hello All,
I spent all yesterday following the guide at http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... _MSVC_2003 and would like to suggest an edit to the guide.
I think it would be a good idea to say somewhere early on in the guide that the current source does NOT build because of the RAD Game SDK issue..., just having NOBINK in the repository name is not enough for a newcomer.
It was very frustrating to discover this after hours of downloading and configuring.

Thanks!
Murf.
Murf

Re: Built the client

Post by Murf »

Further to this.. is it possible to connect to the normal server with a modified client? ie are the crypto keys stored in the repository source code active?
Thanks,
Murf.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

The CWE repos on OU are currently closed until a fix for the Bink related build issues can be deployed so there is no "current source" at this point. Once that is corrected the wiki probably won't need the additional note you suggest. However, there may well be other things that have gone out-of-date or could be better written or explained. Anyone who has a forum account can update the wiki - the login credentials are the same as for the forum although on first usage you may be asked to set your "profile".

As for cryptokeys, it really depends on which repo your source came from. Under the terms of GPL, the source code needs to accurately reflect the distributed binaries - so the keys, if they are part of the source code, are required to match what is used in the corresponding binary. For example the Minkata client does not use the same keys as the MOULa client and repos will reflect that. However, some development forks of the CWE code have moved the keys out into a separate data file that is read at run-time and so doesn't form part of the "source" and need not be published.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Murf

Post by Murf »

Thanks for that explanation, it makes good sense.
I managed to build the current 1.912 build from the source in the guide.... and it seems to be the same as the current release, but it says authorization failure when I try to login.
Thanks again,
Murf.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

I guess the first question to ask is whether you created an account for MOULa - http://mystonline.com/play/ ?

I'm guessing you have and can confirm it works with the "official" client, but I like to make sure the obvious things are out of the way first ;) .
Mac_Fife
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

What Mac said about the NOBINK stuff. We’re still in the process of recovering from the Bink debacle, so you’ve hit a bad time for starting development on the OU fork and will have to live with a bit of inconvenience until we have cleaned things up. Sorry for that, working on it.

The OpenUru.org source repositories contain the keys for MOULa. If you get “Authentication Failed”, that confirms that you have the correct keys, otherwise you wouldn’t get that far, but would fail with a network error earlier.
Mac_Fife wrote:For example the Minkata client does not use the same keys as the MOULa client and repos will reflect that.
Actually, they (still) do not. I’ll have to resume pestering Rarified with the last question I had about that. :)
Murf

Post by Murf »

Thanks for all the replies, yes I have an account, have had it since 2010, and it works fine with the official client but authentication fails with my build.
I will dig a bit deeper, the first thing I had to do was stop the client from auto-updating and replacing itself each time I ran it?!
Murf.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Murf wrote:...the first thing I had to do was stop the client from auto-updating and replacing itself each time I ran it?!
Murf.
Yeah, that's fundamental to using a custom client. The other thing that is probably a good idea to do, is to make sure that your client uses its own folder to store its settings and saved data, and not use the "Uru Live" folder that the main client does.
Mac_Fife
Murf

Post by Murf »

Mac_Fife wrote:As for cryptokeys, it really depends on which repo your source came from.
I suppose the obvious question, is where is the source code for the current, 1.912 build of the URU Live again client?
I used this: https://foundry.openuru.org/hg/CWE-ou-NOBINK/
but as I said, the crypto keys seem wrong as I get authentication failed with the identical user credentials I use with the release version.
Murf.
P.S> I did just find this https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/cwe-ou , I will try and build today.
Murf

Post by Murf »

the source from https://bitbucket.org/OpenUru_org/cwe-ou also has Authentication Failed error.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”