Client Update Concerns

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Hoikas

Re: Client Update Concerns

Post by Hoikas »

These are good questions that have already been answered in detail in the aforementioned thread, I believe. However, I will reiterate the answers for the sake of brevity (and completeness).
cjkelly1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 pmthe removal of the game manager was the initial breaking change. Have there been any other breaking changes after that?
A tag was created at that stage to facilitate continuation from that point. The entire delta from that point can be examined here. It appears that the major improvements to the client occurred before this time. The isolated nature of the game manager allows the other non-game manager work to be picked over with ease.
cjkelly1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 pmyou could use the XP compatible toolchain to compile. Is that still the case today?
Correct. The client compiles with VC++2013 for certain, which supports the XP toolchain. The string_theory dependency will compile with VC++2013 if you use string_theory 2.2. If you prefer to use the latest string_theory 3.0, then bumping everything to VC++2015 is needed. VC++2015 also supports the XP toolchain. Note that I have yet to update my build system to string_theory 3.0, so this is not needed, strictly speaking.

But are we seriously debating a 19 year old operating system when Windows 7 is on the cusp of obsolescence itself?
charura

Post by charura »

But are we seriously debating a 19 year old operating system when Windows 7 is on the cusp of obsolescence itself?
OMG
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

Hoikas wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:53 pm These are good questions that have already been answered in detail in the aforementioned thread, I believe. However, I will reiterate the answers for the sake of brevity (and completeness).
Answered in a thread that is over three years old. Much might have changed in three years. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer, and confirm that H'uru compatibility with Cyan's servers is not difficult to achieve.

Hoikas wrote: But are we seriously debating a 19 year old operating system when Windows 7 is on the cusp of obsolescence itself?
Not me. I dumped Windows, and run the Uru client under Wine.

It was a concern of Cyan's. Of course, this was also brought up in the three year old thread, so it may no longer be an issue.
Chogon wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:58 pm Losing XP and Mac compatibility would be very troublesome and would put Cyan CS in a precarious place. I know that XP is extremely old and unsupported but those explorers that will be affected will see it as a step backwards and it is hard to justify "we care" to a customer by saying "Well, it was those guys over there that did it."
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

It was, as you say, three years ago. I think it would be insane if someone were complaining about running programs on Windows 95 in 2014, which I believe would have been about 19 years old at the time, just like Windows XP is now.

Of course, I'm not saying "screw'em, let's break Windows XP." That would be needlessly petty. I would not lose any sleep over making XP work, however.

But, the real shame, I think, is that we're having to retread the same ground three years later due to OpenURU's abdication of responsibility. Let me be clear: when people wonder why there are no fan ages or other improvements on MOULa, the problem lies here. It's beyond time to fix that problem.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Interesting tangentially-related coincidence: bitbucket.org/blog/sunsetting-mercurial-support-in-bitbucket
Emor D'ni Lap

Post by Emor D'ni Lap »

Having decided that a post of mine from a few days ago was sufficiently off-topic here, I've moved it to a new thread.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

It has been 1,333 days since this thread was created. Since that time, there has been no visible utilization of this advice. In the OpenURU discord, I was informed that the reason nothing has happened is because reminders have not been given and cheerleading has not happened. This is a reminder sentence. This sentence indicates an amount of cheerleading. Thanks for your attention.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”