Feature request: Make chat focus-based

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Marten

Feature request: Make chat focus-based

Post by Marten »

Presently, it is not possible to rebind much of the keyboard for movement in Uru because almost all keys are reserved for typing in chat.

The solution implemented in many other MMOs is to implement an area of focus solution. If focus is on the chat activity, keystrokes go to chat, otherwise, default keybindings apply and WASD may be used for movement.

Often the implementation dedicates a key in keybindings such as ENTER to switching focus to chat. Then within chat, a key such as ESC is reserved to exit chat and resume normal keybinding use. Mouse controls may also use this method via a dedicated area of the screen where clicking will switch focus to the chat console, and clicking elsewhere will take focus out of chat.

(Side note - Some implementations require a separate keyboard event to "unlock" the mouse from being used for movement, before the mouse can then be used to interact with UI elements.)

Ideally, any keyboard events to focus and unfocus chat are re-bindable by the client user as well, for maximum flexibility to the end user.
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Christian Walther

Re: Feature request: Make chat focus-based

Post by Christian Walther »

:?: It seems to me that what you describe as the solution is exactly what is currently implemented in Uru. If I remember correctly, the “start chat” function is not bound to a key by default, in which case (almost*) all character keys start chat, but once you assign a key to it, it works the way you describe.

* I seem to remember that Z does not, because it’s bound to a function from which you can’t unbind it because it was left out in the UI.
Hoikas

Re: Feature request: Make chat focus-based

Post by Hoikas »

You can change the "Start Chat" kyebinding by opening the game menu (not the KI). Because this game cannot be organized, logical, or coherent in any way...

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”