make_cyan_dh issue

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

EccentricOne

make_cyan_dh issue

Post by EccentricOne »

For the fun of it, I am trying to set up a MOSS server as my own little sandbox. While I have a lot of technical knowledge, I admit that I know very little about programming. I am also not very experienced with Linux. Nevertheless, I have managed to slowly get things set up thanks to help from the Wiki. Just FYI, I have been using Ubunti 10.10 and compiled the source code with the default configuration.

I am currently trying to generate the key files using the "make_cyan_dh" program. However, I have found some issues. When I try to use the "-g" switch, the program tries to read the files rather than write them. This results in a "cannot open" error. Interestingly, if I don't specify output files, I get an error stating "make_cyan_dh: -w requires -s". Is there a bug with the program that causes it to read the "-g" switch as "-w"? I can only use the program successfully if I don't use the switch at all (which defaults to generator 04).

A second question I have is whether the MOULagain client files can be used to connect to a MOSS server (provided that there is no extra content). The Wiki mentions serveral times that it works with CWE, but is unclear about MOULa.
a'moaca'

Re: make_cyan_dh issue

Post by a'moaca' »

EccentricOne wrote:Is there a bug with the program that causes it to read the "-g" switch as "-w"?
Yes!

I have fixed this. Do an hg pull and then hg merge, I think, to get the new file. I was planning this weekend to work on MOSS-3 if I get a chance so hopefully there will be another update if I get time.
EccentricOne wrote:A second question I have is whether the MOULagain client files can be used to connect to a MOSS server (provided that there is no extra content). The Wiki mentions serveral times that it works with CWE, but is unclear about MOULa.
The problem with the MOULa client is that it has the public keys for MOULagain compiled in. As we do not have the private key, the MOULa client won't be able to connect to your shard with its own keys. Other than that issue (and that it also connects to MOULa by default instead of your server, but command-line arguments will override that), the MOULa client works fine.

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Cool, the first community issue for a MOSS revision! :)
a'moaca' wrote:Do an hg pull and then hg merge, I think, to get the new file.
Just an update to revision 1 will do. Use "hg update" or in the TortoiseHg Workbench app, right click on revision 1 and update.
Perfect speed is being there.
gerda

Post by gerda »

a'moaca' wrote:The problem with the MOULa client is that it has the public keys for MOULagain compiled in. As we do not have the private key, the MOULa client won't be able to connect to your shard with its own keys. Other than that issue (and that it also connects to MOULa by default instead of your server, but command-line arguments will override that), the MOULa client works fine.
Does this mean we can't use the MOULa client to connect to our MOSS Server?
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

gerda wrote:Does this mean we can't use the MOULa client to connect to our MOSS Server?
Yes.

This is not the server's fault. Cyan compiled the keys for their server into their client. They are keeping the private keys to themselves (as they should). You cannot connect THAT client to any server that does not have Cyan's private keys. You need to change something.

Now that the client is open source, we can change any of this equation we need... but only in NEW clients we build from open source. Hopefully that process will get easier for people as time goes by.

Please note when I say "client" I mean UruLauncher.exe and UruExplorer.exe.

- a'moaca'
EccentricOne

Post by EccentricOne »

Thanks for the help! I had initially copied the files from my Windows PC into my virtual machine rather than grab them directly from Mercurial. Therefore I set up Mercurial and tried "hg update", but got an error. I ultimately just cloned the new version (and eventually redid everything from scratch anyway when other problems cropped up).
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Changeset 2 should enable make_cyan_dh to create the .hpp files used to compile your key into the client. Hopefully this should resolve any remaining issues with this little tool, for the moment.

- a'moaca'

Return to “MOSS”