MOSS : Can It Cluster?

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

MustardJeep

MOSS : Can It Cluster?

Post by MustardJeep »

First off have to quote The Doctor for my first glance at MOSS ‘Look at you. Oh you sexy thing. Look at you!’

Nice Server. :oops: :D

Now on to business, since I don't do linux I don't understand the source 100% and have a question. Can the MOSS servers be clustered and load share like the original MOUL servers? I just cant tell if that functionality is there by looking at the linux netcode. I'm trying to setup something a little sneaky, a little OMG, and just a bit game changing but still transparent to the players; But it hinges on if multiple servers can still be clustered together to act as one big server.

Please let me know either way it's going to happen but if they can cluster you will have added 80-90% to the OMG factor.
a'moaca'

Re: MOSS : Can It Cluster?

Post by a'moaca' »

I always find the meaning of "cluster" rather opaque. It means different things to different people in different domains.

MOSS allows multiple "frontend" (moss) servers to work with a single "backend" (moss_backend). The frontend handles all client connections. The backend manages centralized information, primarily the database, but also things like which server to connect to for reaching a certain age. I guess that is "clustering" but it is not fully distributed.

I cannot tell you for certain whether it works like the original MOUL servers, because I do not know how they did it. I saw no reason to make things complicated up front. MOSS puts all connections to one age on one server. In theory it could do load balancing in terms of where to start new ages, but there is not currently any code to measure and transmit load information. So it simply round-robins.

In theory one could add another server type that handles game server connections, and which then redistributes the traffic to the correct actual game servers, but I did not see the point in writing such a thing. Let us prove that the current architecture cannot handle the load it receives in Real usage first. I think there is lower-hanging fruit, and I am also realistic about likely load.

- a'moaca'
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

I think you just answered my question.

My picture on clustering
Server A : Backend server holding the main vault.
Server B : Front End Game server that holds Person 1's custom relto, private ages, and a custom hood just for flavor.
Server C : Front End Game server that holds Person 2's completely different set of Ages.

The player logs into Server A but never knows or cares if they are on server B,C, or any other letter of alphabet soup since moving between servers to access different content is just nexus connections or linking books they have available. Call it a hundred people hosting a hundred frontend servers for the joy of a hundred custom relto island's but all running off the same backend server.

Is this more or less what you meant?

Also I agree that load sharing (for traffic) is optional and probably way down the line as far as actually being needed goes since Uru isn't as popular as during GameTap and probably will not be for a long while yet.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Yes, that is what I meant, but there are two cautions: there is currently no code that restricts which frontend hosts which age. It round-robins, as I said. If only server B can host a custom hood, the backend won't know when it's doing its round-robin thing. It can be done, but it is not implemented.

On a related note, since ages can move between servers (that is, they can start up on a different server than last time they started up), and some age state is stored in files, you can't have a loose confederation of servers without ages getting reset. The servers need to be able to share files. Unless things are changed for the first caution to pin ages on a given server once they have run there. Or some file-sharing mechanism is built. Or something.

I am waiting for a real live use case with actual requirements that inspires me to implement something more complicated than exists today. Or someone else inspired to implement it. :) That would be nifty.

Oh, also, all servers in the cluster have to have the same server-side private keys. There's nothing special about that (and I can guarantee you the MOUL servers are the same on this point, and almost certainly the shared files as well).

But it suddenly sounds to me like you're thinking about a loosely organized system where server Cs are set up by random Joes and joined to the shard with basically no effort. Private keys oughtn't be given out on a whim. And then when Joe doesn't boot his computer today, his visitors will have a real purty black screen.

- a'moaca'
MustardJeep

Post by MustardJeep »

Sending you a private message as this is about to get a little beyond multiple front end vs. on backend.
DarK

Post by DarK »

Hi MustardJeep

The spirt of openUru is to discuss projects,changes, and ideas in an open environment- taking your discussion with a'moca' to PM at this stage could leave people who may wish to participate and/or just understand the changes that you plan to make, un-informed.

I can understand if the issues that you need to discuss need to be done privately due to security issues in the exisiting clients or servers, and respect that moving to PM, prevents those issues becoming public.

I hope you can resume the dicussion here as soon a possible.
Szark

Post by Szark »

I am not having a dig but I would like to follow this as I found it very interesting. No I have no idea about any coding/programming at all. But reading all the threads I can (here and GoW) I can get a better picture of what is happening. This thread really perked my interest even though it is all black magic to me. :D (so yeah it is just not techies that are interested in all this :D )

As Dark said I hope you return to this thread and share more. :D

Return to “MOSS”