Unrecognized auth message

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

rplawrence

Unrecognized auth message

Post by rplawrence »

I'm attempting to use a GoW CWE (plClient) to connect to a MOSS server. The server is refusing to connect and writing "Unrecognized auth message" into the auth log. Both builds are generic.

What does that message mean, exactly. Is it trying to tell me that the auth keys are out of sync?

Tnx
MercAngel

Re: Unrecognized auth message

Post by MercAngel »

you will have to use the tool here viewtopic.php?f=94&t=578

to create the server.ini from the client keys you created when you installed the MOSS server if you are using the GOW build of the client
rplawrence

Post by rplawrence »

Thanks MercAngel. I have used CreateINI, nice tool BTW.

Here is what I do to generate keys:
in server etc/

make_cyan_dh -s auth_key.der -C pnNbAuthKey.hpp
make_cyan_dh -s game_key.der -C pnNbGameKey.hpp
make_cyan_dh -s gatekeeper_key.der -C pnNbGateKeeperKey.hpp

# then scp the *.hpp files to the windows box, running client dir

Then run CreateINI, making appropriate entries.

Am I missing something?
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

That message almost always means the keys are wrong, yes.

One thought: there was a bug in make_cyan_dh when reading an existing "server" key file. It was not getting the generator out of that file, so it was using the default (which is 4). The gatekeeper generator is 4 so the .hpp files generated with -C from the "server" file would be okay but the other two files would be wrong.

I checked in a fixed version last week. If your MOSS is older, please either update your tree and rebuild make_cyan_dh, or when you run the commands you listed above, provide the correct generator with -g (which does work).

On the other hand, I had understood the generator was not provided in the server.ini (it should be, though). So, are you using the correct generators for auth and game? I can never remember what they are but make_cyan_dh tells you if you run with the -h option. If that's what went wrong you will have to start over and generate new private keys.

- a'moaca'
rplawrence

Post by rplawrence »

Thank you a'moaca' That was very useful to know.

I rebuild the auth and game keys using the -g option and now I can log in. One problem down. :D

Return to “MOSS”