Compile errors with MOSS on MacOSX10.6 Server

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

Valdez

Re: Compile errors with MOSS on MacOSX10.6 Server

Post by Valdez »

Ah! Thank you for the tip! MOSS has now successfully built and installed, and make_cyan_dh generated the keys successfully. The server now works perfectly! Thank you very much to everyone for the help! I do have one (probably stupid) question first. Do people have to connect to my server through CWE?

Thanks again for everything,
Valdez
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

In short, yes. Your users need to have a client that "knows" about the keys and address of your server, and the standard issue MOUL client only knows about MOULa servers. That means they need to either build a specific client using your server's details or use the H'uru version of the client along with a server.ini file - MercAngel created a tool for generating the server.ini file: viewtopic.php?p=4467#p4467

I think it's be really useful, Valdez, if you could summarize in a single post what the steps eventually were to getting MOSS to build on Mac OSX, so it can be added to the MOSS documentation.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

I have just checked in changes (changeset 15) that should fix all the MOSS build errors you encountered. If you are willing to try a fresh compile without any of the little changes we made earlier in this thread I would much appreciate it. I haven't done anything with the postgres module build though, so no need to re-test that.

- a'moaca'
Valdez

Post by Valdez »

Alright, I will try my best to list the steps it took to build it. But first, as of now I have been trying to build the CWE client but it has been crashing at login after it is done with patcher updates and file updates. It doesn't say anything though, just a regular Windows "*.exe has stopped working." I haven't found anything wrong with the libraries I am using or anything of the sort so it's been confusing me. I'll need help on this too. :P Unless you advise that just using the H'uru version would be better. I unfortunately have no output to supply as there were no error messages, just a silent crash.

The new changes to MOSS have worked perfectly! I completely cleaned out the moss folder and downloaded the MOSS source and redid the configure, make, and make install and didn't get any errors! w00t! :D

And now, what I had to do to get MOSS working on Mac OS X:

Note: Downloading and installing libraries is just like in Unix/Linux, which is done in Terminal. It is notable that OpenSSL comes with Mac OS X.
1. gcc and the autotools are attained through installing XCode (on the Mac OS X install disk).
2. Once you have MOSS downloaded, you must go into bootstrap.sh and CHANGE the command "libtoolize" to "glibtoolize." This is b/c Mac OS X already has a tool called libtool that is completely different from the one by GNU. So the g is prefixed to ALL libtool commands to specify the GNU version.
3. Run bootstrap.sh then run configure with the arguments required. It is notable as well that if you install PostgreSQL to the default directory (this is installed through a package, not gcc) that you must specify "--with-postgres=PREFIX" Prefix being the directory at which PostgreSQL resides. The default (for 8.4) is /library/postgresql/8.4
4. Run make then make install. At this point both these should go unhindered.
5. Install the PostgreSQL module moss_uuidgen.so by using the directions on the PostgreSQL site. gcc will not work.
5.1. The install lines are as follows if you were in the postgresql directory in your MOSS folder in Terminal:

Code: Select all

cc -c moss_uuidgen.c
cc -bundle -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o moss_uuidgen.so moss_uuidgen.o
6. Place the module in POSTGRESQLPREFIX/lib/postgresql.
7. The SQL directions run pretty much exactly the same. Although there is also a GUI you can use with PostgreSQL that can let you set DB user passwords! There are also shortcuts in /applications/PostgreSQL that can start, stop, and also restart the DB server.
8. Continue to follow all the directions in the wiki and you should be good to go!

I believe that's all the extra steps needed if built on a Mac. Now I just need help with the client. :P Unless, as I said, you think I should just the H'uru client.

Return to “MOSS”