MOSS "configure" problems

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

jamie marchant

MOSS "configure" problems

Post by jamie marchant »

Hi:
I am trying to compile and set up MOSS for I wish to do some private MOULa testing and development. However I got stuck while running the ./configure script the error is:
"checking for lippqxx... no
libpqxx is required. "
I installed the package with Yum but I don't know why I have the error. My sever is a Fordora Core 13 64-bit computer. Any ideas.
Lyrositor

Re: MOSS "configure" problems

Post by Lyrositor »

I don't have much experience with Fedora (Ubuntu/Debian user myself), but I think that installing just libpqxx won't be sufficient:
libpqxx -- both the library and the "development package"
From what I can tell, this is libpqxx-devel on Fedora 13. Have you installed this too?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
johnsojc

Post by johnsojc »

Question on error when trying to start moss_backend and moss.

Programs compiled clean (first time out!!). However, when I tried to start it the first time I got this error...

Code: Select all

johnsojc@froomb:~/moss$ /usr/local/bin/moss_backend
/usr/local/bin/moss_backend: error while loading shared libraries: libmoss.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I'm a bit mystified since the file exists in ./.libs relative to my moss directory. I could not find it listed in Makefile at all (just libmoss.la).
Any ideas what I missed? Does this need to be moved somewhere else by hand or is it a compile error?

Code: Select all

lrwxrwxrwx 1 johnsojc johnsojc      21 Apr 30 13:12 libmoss_serv.so -> libmoss_serv.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 johnsojc johnsojc      21 Apr 30 13:12 libmoss_serv.so.0 -> libmoss_serv.so.0.0.0
-rwxrwxr-x 1 johnsojc johnsojc 1734385 Apr 30 13:12 libmoss_serv.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 johnsojc johnsojc      16 Apr 30 13:11 libmoss.so -> libmoss.so.0.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 johnsojc johnsojc      16 Apr 30 13:11 libmoss.so.0 -> libmoss.so.0.0.0
-rwxrwxr-x 1 johnsojc johnsojc 1043746 Apr 30 13:11 libmoss.so.0.0.0
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

You have to cd to /usr/local, then run bin/moss_backend if I remember correctly.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
johnsojc

Post by johnsojc »

Something else must be wrong... that didn't do it. libtool built a bunch of shared object librarys from the moss_serv code. It stuck them all in a subirectory called .libs which is supposedly for PIC files. I saw the linker include them during the build (make). Taking the error message literally, the file is missing... from where I'm not sure. The make install also put those files in /usr/local/lib. I wonder if I'm fighting a permissions war... there was nothing about chmod'ing anything in the docs except for the keys.

Too tired to fight this any longer tonight... :?
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Forget about the libraries in .libs, that’s just where the build put them (and the folder is invisible for just that reason). The ones you want are the ones in /usr/local/lib. I seem to remember that some magic incantations are needed on Linux to make shared libraries known to the dynamic linker, but I don’t remember offhand what they are (possibly something with ldconfig, maybe check man ldconfig). I would have expected make install to perform these for you. What’s your make install output?
Lyrositor wrote:You have to cd to /usr/local, then run bin/moss_backend if I remember correctly.
No. You cd to wherever your ./etc/moss.cfg is (unless you’re using the -c option).
johnsojc

Post by johnsojc »

By default, moss.cfg and moss_backend.cfg go in prefix/etc. I tried the -c option as well. I am using Ubuntu 12.04. I will research the shared library idea (when I manage to wake up :yawn: ). Since the linker did include all the libmoss*.so stuff, I thought there might have been some problem with shared libraries but I wasn't sure where to look. If I can't get it work, I will post the build output.

EDIT: OK, there is an issue with shared libraries. Apparently you have to add your user generated library location in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. You can either add a line in your .bashrc to update the LD_LIBRARY_PATH path or you can create a new file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ called .conf. Different flavors of Linux do it differenty. I will find out what method works and give this a try and let you know what I did to get it working,

EDIT2: Obviously it's magic. The problem has gone away. I'm not sure what I did (if anything) but /usr/local/lib now shows up in the ld.so cache. All I did was run two commands:ldconfig -p --print and ldconfig -v. I did not see it the first time but the -v listed libmoss*.so.0. moss_backend started and gave me my first REAL error... DB connection failure: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "moss" . Hooray! :D

Hmmm. Apparently I have to su to user moss to get the DB connection to work. Also had an error in the .cfg file. In any case, I was able to get both moss_backend and moss to run. More cfg editting to do and figure out why there was no /var/run/moss_backend.pid file or any log files. Log level set to NET so maybe nothing happened to make the log. I need to figure out how to compile the hash generator and create a user . Am I having fun yet :?:

EDIT (final): It's MOSS :!: Have fully functional MOSS server running a GoW internal client. I would build an OU client but don't have the old tools to do it. Back to testing :D

Return to “MOSS”