Connecting using External Release client

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

Lyrositor

Re: Connecting using External Release client

Post by Lyrositor »

You've just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone...
I am getting more confused by the hour. Quick recap of what's happened so far:
1. There WAS a problem with the manifests - a big problem. Fixed it. :oops:
2. I compiled both an Internal client and an External client, using the exact same parameters... but when it gets to compiling plClient, if fails with a bunch of errors about the JPEG library. :shock:
3. When I started my external client, it downloaded something called "plUruLauncher.exe", which seemed to manage to load server.ini but couldn't get any farther along in the download. I then clean-reinstalled, and this time, it didn't get downloaded.
4. When I checked my gatekeeper log messages, I saw he had seen the client (just once, which I suppose is when I ran the mysterious plUruLauncher.exe)) but hadn't recognized the auth message, even though I'm pretty sure the keys are good.
I now have no idea what to do next. I'm going to try and re-compiling the internal client from scratch, see if that works now.
Also, I'm connecting to a VirtualBox install, but this has worked in the past so I don't think this should be responsible for such problems.
Last edited by Lyrositor on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Have you tried using Wireshark to see where in the network stream things get stuck?

Unrecognized messages typically are a sign of mismatching keys. Could it be that the UruLauncher your file server serves is a different one than you want?
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Thanks for the Wireshark tip, I'll try it out ASAP.
I'm not getting the auth messages anymore, and my keys are correct since the plClient in my External folder is working fine with my server.ini.

BUT I have discovered something VERY interesting. I downloaded the Gehn shard client, and it uses an External.ini file. Guess what? It's in a completely different encoding I can't identify! However, even stranger (and I'm going to post this on the GoW forums), it has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as my external client, getting stuck at Initializing Patcher! The only difference is that seems to read server.ini, since it is displaying the status message. :o

EDIT: Ah, never mind, Gehn Shard works fine, I just had a zombie UruLauncher as background process. Still, this probably means server.ini needs to be encoded differently.

EDIT 2: Can't install Wireshark plugin, giving me errors about unfound libraries when compiling.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I'VE GOT IT!!!
I figured out what my client was missing: an encrypted server.ini! All I had to do is run the program plFileEncrypt with my server.ini in the same directory and... presto! He downloaded the client files from the server! The only thing left to do now is replace the client files on my server (currently pointing to MOULa) and I'm ready to go!
Thank you everybody for your help! :D
P.S. : Maybe I should add a MOSS/CWE article on the wiki to help out other users like me with the same problems?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
rarified

Post by rarified »

The article is relevant only with the client; MOSS serves the files without looking inside.

Because (I believe) server.ini is part of the H'uru configuration, perhaps you should hold off posting it here until that particular feature gets incorporated in the OU fork of CWE.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Whoops, looks like I cried victory too soon. I'm now managing to start up my client, I get to the login screen, accept the TOS and then... "UruExplorer.exe has stopped working." That's it. No log file indicates anything, be it game, auth, file or gatekeeper. No stack dump. Nothing. I'm not getting it. I think it might be a problem with the files available on my local computer though. Does anybody know what files are supposed to be with a CWE external client? I've looked at Gehn and Minkata files, and so far my directory structure is this (I've been moving and adding things ; this is just all the files I could think of put together in one folder):

Code: Select all

\avi
\dat
\Python
\SDL
\sfx
binkw32.dll
eax.dll
libeay32.dll
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
msvcrt.dll
NxCharacter.dll
NxCooking.dll
NxExtensions.dll
oalinst.exe
OpenAl32.dll
PhysX_Setup.exe
PhsyXLoader.dll
python27.dll
python27_d.dll
ReleaseNotes.txt
resource.dat
server.ini
TOS.txt
Uninstall.exe
UruExplorer.exe
UruLauncher.exe
wrap_oal.dll
I've rebuilt my manifests server-side and uploaded the standard files used by MOULa in gzipped form. I've noticed one thing: if I remove one file from my local directory, the updater hangs and doesn't download anything.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Try building in debug mode (with PLASMA_EXTERNAL_RELEASE still defined) and checking the backtrace in a debugger.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Sigh. The debug version isn't working either; this time, as soon as he's finished downloading (and is now displaying "Launching URU..."), he prints out a dialog saying "Failed to launch URU." Again, no log files or anything.
I still have the same problem with the release version. So close, and yet, so far...
In my uneducated opinion, I think this is either a problem with the server manifests (which I rebuilt quite a few times to be sure, both as release versions and as debug versions) OR with the client files, libraries, etc. This is so frustrating... :x
Was Gehn easier to set up? Or Minkata? Or the TOC client? Did anybody else run into these hurdles?
By the way, my plClient is still working fine.

EDIT: I've managed to debug this, but it still crashes with the same error message :

'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Lyros Shard (Debug)\UruExplorer.exe', Symbols loaded.
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\kernel32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\KernelBase.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\snxhk.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\user32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\gdi32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\lpk.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\usp10.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\shlwapi.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Lyros Shard (Debug)\python27_d.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\advapi32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\sechost.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\rpcrt4.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.debugcrt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_bb1f6aa1308c35eb\msvcr90d.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Lyros Shard (Debug)\OpenAL32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\version.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winmm.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ole32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Lyros Shard (Debug)\NxCharacter.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Lyros Shard (Debug)\PhysXLoader.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\IPHLPAPI.DLL'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\nsi.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\winnsi.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\D3DX9_43.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dinput8.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\avifil32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msacm32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msvfw32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.7601.17514_none_ec83dffa859149af\comctl32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\ws2_32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.debugcrt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_bb1f6aa1308c35eb\msvcp90d.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_none_50934f2ebcb7eb57\msvcr90.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\imm32.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msctf.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\uxtheme.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d8thk.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\apphelp.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Loaded 'ImageAtBase0x2ae0000', No symbols loaded.
'UruExplorer.exe': Unloaded 'ImageAtBase0x2ae0000'
'UruExplorer.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dwmapi.dll'
'UruExplorer.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\System32\d3d8thk.dll'
The program '[5056] UruExplorer.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Looks like ImageAtBase0x2ae0000 is the problem, whatever that is.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I am cutting off this thread here, since this is no longer about MOSS but mostly about the CWE-gow client. I think I will have more success on these issues on the GoW forums. The discussion continues here.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Back to MOSS.
I've recompiled my client, and it's working fine... until it reaches the in-game Updating screen. After loading a bit ("Updating"), he crashes again, with "UruExplorer.exe has stopped working". This time, though, I'm getting an error log in MOSS' file log:

Server tried to mumble to itself about SecurePreloader.mbm, but no one is listening.
This manifest file isn't in the ZIP I downloaded, so I don't get it.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888

Return to “MOSS”