Connecting using External Release client

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

JWPlatt

Re: Connecting using External Release client

Post by JWPlatt »

See if this thread gives you any ideas.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=632
Perfect speed is being there.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Nope, I've already read that thread and a few others like it. The problem isn't with the .mbam files ; apparently, he's getting those fine. The problem seems to be with the manifest files, and for SOME REASON he's looking for SecurePreloader.mbm (although I haven't seen any mention of this file anywhere). I'm going to try restarting the server to see if anything changes.

EDIT: Nope, didn't do anything. Didn't really expect it to.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

SecurePreloader.mfs is an alternative to the auth server resources in the H'uru client. You should have either that manifest or the auth resources available--Uru will still work fine if one if them is missing.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I would like to know what the SecurePreloader actually does : judging from the source code, it appears to download all the appropriate manifests (auth and file) as well as the client files. Why would it be requesting its own manifest ?

Also, I'm not sure .mfs is used with MOSS. I haven't seen it used anywhere : the only thing I've ever seen are .mbm (for files) and two .mbam (for auth). By "auth resources", do you mean those last two .mbam ?

Finally, I've tried just adding a SecurePreloader.mbm to the file directory, but he justs prints out an error message when the fullscreen has just started (when saying Updating) displaying: "Secure file preloader failed."
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Hoikas says the SecurePreloader.mfs is an alternative in the H'uru client. I could be wrong, but it sounds like he's saying it is unique to the H'uru client and not in MOSS or MOULa.

On the surface, your problem appears to be the same as rplawrence reported in the thread I mentioned above. Does it work if the client is run with the '-LocalData' switch? Just on the off-chance, make sure you updated your MOSS repo to the tip.
Perfect speed is being there.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

My MOSS repo is very recent (I think I cloned in the beginning of February) and no commits have been made since then.
There is no -LocalData switch for the external client, I've checked and Hoikas confirmed earlier in this thread.
About SecurePreloader.mfs, that's kind of what I figured, but I don't know how to make the client use that instead, or even what to put inside it.
I think rplawrence and Rael were using plClient instead, since LocalData worked for them. Anyway, their error messages were in moss_auth.log whereas mine is in moss_file.log, looking for an unknown file (since that seems to be what "mumbles" means).
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

I would appreciate it if you'd stop coming here pointing fingers at MOSS when you're using a client that demands additional extra arbitrary setup, and you haven't actually done that set up. If the client wants a SecurePreloader manifest then you will have to add it.

I cannot tell you what goes in the manifest. I have no idea why it is asking the file server and not the auth server for it. I will not be able to help you with these client issues. It has been quite publicly and rudely stated that it is offensive for me to read the changes the GoW folks make. Therefore, I am unable to go find out for you what you need to do, even if I were inclined to spend a lot of time trying to track the changes, which I'm not.

Honestly, I find it rather offensive that when a non-standard client doesn't work someone blames MOSS instead of helping clarify, especially in a fashion that provides actionable information, the differences present in that client. It's already well proven that it's okay with the community if I am offended... so I guess there's not much for me to do, but I hope you will understand that it does not make me very predisposed to help you to configure things for your client with new, funky things in it.

Thank you for your understanding.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I mean no insult, and I was not my original purpose to blame MOSS. I simply thought the issue was on its' side, since the error messages appeared in the server log. I have nothing but great respect for your work, which turned out be rather easy to set up once I set aside my various misunderstandings stemming from my general lack of experience in these matters. Also, I am not using the GoW client with the intention of insulting anybody, simply because I'm unable to compile the standard CWE client (I don't have Visual Studio 2003). I sincerely hope you will bear me no enmity. :)

Anyway, since it indeed appears to be a problem with the client, I guess I'll go back to the GoW forums for help. :roll: I now have a precise question, though, so this should be easier...
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

I find it offensive when people write posts about grudges they are too immature to get over.

Look at me, I'm so helpful.

See? I can be an arse if I want to as well.
Nadnerb

Post by Nadnerb »

The H'uru client requests the SecurePreloader manifest from the File server as an alternative to requesting secure files (Python, SDL) from the Auth server. If the SecurePreloader manifest is not found, it will fall back to requesting the secure files from the Auth server. I would guess that MOSS does not have a file server, as it expects clients to have a complete dataset when connecting.

Return to “MOSS”