Connecting using External Release client

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

branan

Re: Connecting using External Release client

Post by branan »

The SecurePreloader manifest is not necessary. If the server properly returns a FileNotFound error on a missing manifest, the client will happily fall back to the old-style secure preloader. We did this specifically to maintain compatibility with MOSS. We aren't going to alienate a chunk of our users on a whim, and this was a case where we could make the client smoother without wrecking compatibility. There is most likely a misconfiguration somewhere. Whether it is in MOSS or the server.ini I cannot say. What I can say is that our preloader changes aren't to blame here.

Lyrositor: You can just delete SecurePreloader.mbm if you want to use the old-style auth preloader. I would recommend this, since it will make your configuration a little simpler for now.

Nadnerb: MOSS does indeed have a file server. It appears complete and correct from a casual look at the source.

a'moaca': We've apologized for our misunderstanding and are more than happy to move on. I don't know what more you need in order to put it in the past. I will say that I direct people towards MOSS all the time because it's more feature complete and has a wider install base than DIRTSAND. I'm even happy to help our users integrate with MOSS. But let me be clear: if you are going to use that incident as an excuse to be rude and unhelpful to the H'uru customers, then I will have no choice but to start telling people to use DIRTSAND. I can't justify pointing my users towards a product whose creator is going to be inconsiderate to them. I'd rather not do that since MOSS is probably still a better choice, but I will if this is the treatment they can expect from you.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

Thanks everyone for the "actionable information".

Lyrositor: I understand that you're struggling, but I will not be able to help with the nonstandard clients. I do not find you insulting.

branan: I never got an apology for the attacks. I must have missed the memo. Link, please. ("We agreed it was a misunderstanding" is not an apology, much less one to *me*.) Last I knew, it was still offensive when I read code (emphasis yours). Tell me why I should have wanted to cause offense by reading code now, when Lyrositor keeps ending up here -- when you guys made it clear I was to keep my nose out of your client, it kind of became not my responsibility, eh?
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

:roll:
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Moderator's Note:
There are some personal grievances being brought out here in recent posts that have little to do with the matter in hand and is a digression that will certainly will not serve to answer the problems that Lyrositor is enquiring about. If there is a discussion to be had to resolve those grievances it should be in another thread or through PM.

I'll thank contributors to stay on topic.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Reply mirrored here.
IT WORKS!
After just a bit of chatting on the GoW's IRC, I realized what I needed to do was to downloaded the latest MOULSCRIPTS commit (not sure if this is entirely necessary, but it didn't work with the standard AuthFiles.zip), then pack the Python with plPythonPack.exe, and finally encrypt the SDL files and python.pak with plFileSecure and my encryption.key. My external client is now working fine, thanks to help of everyone on this thread, on the GoW thread and on the IRC channel.

I will be publishing my External client very soon. Also, even though my shard is invitation-based, should I reply to Chogon's thread here?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Congrat's! We were all pulling for you. :)

Yes, certainly post to Chogon's thread. Make sure to include clear access and support instructions. I'd also make sure it is stable first before inviting the world. ;)

Now, what lessons have you learned? I'm particularly interested in knowing whether there was anything missing from the instructions you found (or didn't find) on our wiki. Or whether there were things in the existing instructions that should have been done, but weren't for some reason. That will tell us whether to fill in more detail, cautions, or make necessary things more obvious, etc.
Perfect speed is being there.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

JWPlatt wrote:Now, what lessons have you learned? I'm particularly interested in knowing whether there was anything missing from the instructions you found (or didn't find) on our wiki. Or whether there were things in the existing instructions that should have been done, but weren't for some reason. That will tell us whether to fill in more detail, cautions, or make necessary things more obvious, etc.
Yes, I'm going to start by compiling a list of all the problems I ran into, and where it was due to lack of instructions OR confusing instructions (a lot of the time it was just my sheer ignorace). Then I'm going to list all the solutions I found, and submit it here. How does that sound?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

It sounds like what we're all here to accomplish - offer solutions to problems to learn and make things better and easier for each other. Thanks!
branan

Post by branan »

The H'uru README needs some updating, for sure. We absolutely need to make it clearer that if you're using our code you need to be using our matching python scripts. Likewise, the MOSS instructions should say that the auth files archive is only compatible with the OU CWE fork. Clearly we can't expect everyone to realize how tightly coupled the python and client are.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

...but it didn't work with the standard AuthFiles.zip
I missed commenting on this. More than just compatibility, the .zip files exist for archival purposes only and are from the initial release of the 893 and 902 build sources. They are not "standard," but are Cyan Worlds reference copies from before they were structured into our repositories and before any work was done. That would be one thing to definitely make clear in our docs. Always use the latest stable branch of the repos: e.g., CWE-ou, MOULSCRIPT-ou on Foundry or Bitbucket, or the respective H'uru repos.

Return to “MOSS”