Connecting using External Release client

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

Lyrositor

Connecting using External Release client

Post by Lyrositor »

This message was originally posted here, but the issue appears to with MOSS, so I'm asking here instead.
I've managed to connect to my Lyros shard using my Internal client, but I would much rather distribute an External client to my users. I don't have Visual Studio 2003, so I have to use the GoW client for this. The Internal client (plClient) works fine, but I can't make my External version work ; he gets stuck usually at Initializing patcher. Apparently, I need to configure MOSS for use with the client. However, I've had no such luck doing this for the moment. So, any help? :?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
To D'ni, or not to D'ni. There is no question.
a'moaca'

Re: Connecting using External Release client

Post by a'moaca' »

Lyrositor wrote:Apparently, I need to configure MOSS for use with the client.
This doesn't make any sense. MOSS does not care about what client you are running. I mean, it really doesn't care -- if you somehow fail to send version information, the server just goes "huh, oh well" and goes on. And there is no way for it to tell whether you are using an external or internal client.

All I can figure is you don't have the gatekeeper enabled, or your encryption keys for the gatekeeper are wrong somewhere. And this guess is only valid if the internal client doesn't use the gatekeeper. I've never used it, so I don't really know.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

What does the gatekeeper do exactly? I understand auth and game, but I don't get his purpose. My keys seem to work fine since plClient has no problems connecting.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

The gatekeeper and file server are server processes that the external client needs to connect to. It asks the gatekeeper where to find other servers.

The setup instructions lay out quite clearly that you need to set up these servers, and that the gatekeeper has its own keypair. I'm sorry, but if you're going to decide to omit entire parts of system setup when you don't know what they do, you really ought to be prepared to figure out why things don't work.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

But I have setup the gatekeeper, at least, what's written in the setup instructions : I've created the keys using Cyan's openssl encryption numbers (should I use the Diffie-Hellman algorithm instead?), I've put them in prefix/etc... The server is the same for all three processes. The gatekeeper log files don't indicate anything apart from regular connections using the Internal client. So I've been trying to figure things out, but I'm still stuck.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

I've just thought of something. With plClient, I just add "-LocalData" to the end of the target, to prevent it from syncing with non-existent server files. However, when I look at the source code for plUruLauncher, I'm not finding any reference to this argument. Is that the problem? How would I force the external client to just use the local data?
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Oh, external clients don't have the LocalData switch. Hmm...

Do you have the python and SDL files listed in (whatever MOSS calls the) SecurePreloader manifest?
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

If I recall correctly, there is a switch in MOSS to surpress client file updates specifically to allow local age testing for developers. No special client needed. I forget the details, and maybe this won't help here, but it's worth a search.
Perfect speed is being there.
Lyrositor

Post by Lyrositor »

Alright, I've been looking around a bit.
Zrax has managed to do it here with DIRTSAND, so it can be done: http://moul.zrax.net/info.php with his client. Maybe contacting him would help?
a'moaca' has stated that the problem shouldn't be with MOSS, and I'm inclined to believe her. Neverless, I've been poking around the source code of MOSS and I haven't seen anything of interest along those lines.
I've been looking at the source for that SecurePreloader thing, but I haven't found what you meant. I'm guessing you mean something along the lines of this, in which case, unless I haven't understood something, I have them set up (and working for plClient, whom I suppose uses it anyway, even with LocalData). I'm going to try rebuilding the manifests just in case something went wrong.
Last edited by Lyrositor on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

Yeah, auth server data is what you want. plClient does not download that if you specify /LocalData.

Oh, and of course, I forgot that you're getting stuck before that download actually matters. Sorry about that one :?

Return to “MOSS”