How to run MOSS

Discussions About MOSS (Myst Online Server Software)

Moderators: a'moaca', rarified

rarified

Re: How to run MOSS

Post by rarified »

jamie marchant wrote:I assume all the "(No such file or directory)" could be problem.
Those shouldn't be a problem, it is the dynamic loader looking for libraries going through the search path of directories until it finds the library it is looking for.

The important event is right up top

Code: Select all

1518  execve("/home/owner/source/moss/MOSS/moss_backend", ["/home/owner/source/moss/MOSS/mos"..., "-f", "-c", "/home/owner/source/moss/MOSS/etc"...], [/* 14 vars */]) = 0
and at the end where it makes no attempt to open the configuration file.

That would indicate it failed to parse or recognize the command arguments.

Did you compile the program on this machine? If you didn't a new build may help. But if you did build it here, there is something else afoot. I'll look at the code tomorrow am and see if the debug options will give any output about command argument handling or if we need to patch your code to figure what's going on.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
jamie marchant

Post by jamie marchant »

I complied the program on the machine I am trying to run it on.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Ok, thanks.

The code path that prints the usage message is so simple that there only a handful of things that could be happening. More questions... ;)

1) What is your exact OS that you're using "Ubuntu 12.xx", "Fedora xx", etc?
2) Which version of GCC (i.e. output from "gcc --version")?
3) Are you using exactly the source from the repository or one that has been modified (maybe by the earlier MOSS-installer project)?
4) Do you have a file sharing website that you could place a zip file of your source and compiled programs for me to download?
5) Alternatively, do you have a way to "share" your desktop screen (i.e. VNC and SSH)?

Thanks
_R
jamie marchant

Post by jamie marchant »

1. It is Debian 6.07 PowerPC
2. gcc reports 4.4.5
3. The source code has not been modified from the original repository but I did move the binaries into the main MOSS folder form the .libs folder
4. It took me a while but I did manage to get a tar file on my website. You can download it at http://jamiemarchant.blg.lt/public_html/MOULa/moss.tar. (btw if it's not obvious the password in the config file is not the one I actually use)
5. I don't have VNC or SSH setup publicly but I could share my screen over Skype. If you want to do this PM me and give me time to get setup, as I need to setup Skype on a computer on the "correct" network.(I have too "networks" connected by a "router" and computer running Internet Connection Shearing)
rarified

Post by rarified »

Thanks Jamie, I'll look at it in a little while.

Now that you mention PPC I'm starting to suspect a byte ordering issue.

-Paul
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

rarified wrote:Now that you mention PPC I'm starting to suspect a byte ordering issue.
Unlikely. MOSS runs fine on my PowerPC Mac (Mac OS X 10.4). The only byte ordering issue I have found so far is outside of moss/moss_backend and fixed in PR #6.

How about running it in a debugger? The problematic behavior is so close to the start that you can simply step through from the beginning.

Code: Select all

gdb wherever/moss_backend
break main
run
n
n
n
…
jamie marchant

Post by jamie marchant »

I'll give that a try, though I won't need it any time soon as I just found out about the Destiny Shard. In the furture if I am working on things where I need my own server, I will "re-open" this thread.

Return to “MOSS”