Limits of Acceptable Posting

Discussions about administration, management, technology and development

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

Nalates

Limits of Acceptable Posting

Post by Nalates »

In the preamble of Hypergrid & Second Life Project there is an issue about what is permissible and not, which I want some help with. Dot's wording is clearer... (see section)

As an example of the problem I'm considering how to handle is Drizzle. The community has a controversy about how Drizzle works. I REALLY don't want to exclude discussion regarding the use of Drizzle or prevent support of those using Drizzle or something similar. However, there is an inherent incentive to discuss how to come up with a copy of the MO:UL files when Drizzle is used. Somewhere in there is a line that when crossed makes discussion unacceptable.

While I have not dug into the issue of a modified MO:UL file being distributed with Drizzle, if that is accurate, it adds a legal technicality some don't understand. As an individual, I don't care. I think anyone with the MO:UL files has the original file. So, for me it is a non-issue that a derivative copy of the file is included with Drizzle. However, technically it is a copyright violation and for a forum with the express intent to respect Cyan's rights it creates a tangle. It is also a pretty nuanced point many won't understand.

I think it depends on how one looks at the issues and thinks of Drizzle as to what one should allow. For me resolving the question gives me an understanding of where the lines are drawn. It's not so much about Drizzle as it is the level of detail a moderator applies to posts.

Note: This was edited a bit...
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah
semplerfi

Re: Limits of Acceptable Posting

Post by semplerfi »

Nalates wrote:In the preamble of Hypergrid & Second Life Project there is an issue about what is permissible and not, which I want some help with. Dot's wording is clearer... (see section)
I would like to help but I can not read Dot's clearer wording for the link is to a hidden forum with no clue to what user group this is in. "You are not authorized to read this forum." Is this a closed group, that new members can only join upon invitation of a group leader?

hmmm, hidden forums & threads & secret handshakes on an Open Source forum. :P ;) :lol: :lol:

Anywho, Drizzle is a tool. Like so many tools Drizzle can do good and or bad things depending on how the user applies the tool. So technically the tool is not the issue, it is how the tool is used that is at issue. ;) So any discussions on Drizzle's use for copyright violations will not be allowed here. Simple... ;)
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

The project subforums are still being prepared for opening. Once set, they've be publicly visible.

Nalates or Dot might want to bring the relevant text here for discussion.
Perfect speed is being there.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Here's my post in its entirety:
Dot wrote:
Nalates wrote:The basic forum rules apply here with the addition that Cyan's Intellectual Property rights will be respected. This means but is not limited to download links to Cyan content not provided or licensed by Cyan are not permitted on this forum. Encouraging, promoting and discussing unauthorized use of Cyan materials, i.e., textures, meshes, sounds, and etc., are not an acceptable topics for discussion. We acknowledge this creates a gray area and are working on an example of what works.
Perhaps amend this paragraph to:
Besides the basic forum rules that apply throughout the OpenUru forums, a further rule here explicitly requires respect for Cyan Worlds' (and others') Intellectual Property Rights.

Here are some examples of unacceptable topics according to this rule:
Encouraging, promoting and discussing unauthorised use of Cyan materials, such as textures, meshes, sounds, etc.
Posting download links to Cyan content not provided or licensed by Cyan

This is likely to be a grey area, but when issues arise discussion via pm is encouraged. However, the moderators will have the final say, and will add to the list of examples above for future reference.
The last paragraph is a suggestion -- how would we (as moderators) handle such discussions in practice?
===
Edit: the original Forum ideas for OpenUru has this to say:
There are three key principles I want everyone to keep in mind, but all principles can be derived from the first:

1) Do no damage.
2) All projects and behavior must be legal.
3) Cyan rights must be respected.
So really we are suggesting nothing new; just spelling out what the 3rd principle means in practice.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Thanks for posting these. Topics like Drizzle really need discussion, and it needs to be addressed in the open so everyone understands the issues. I'll post more on this as soon as possible.
Perfect speed is being there.
Nalates

Post by Nalates »

Thanks... /me runs to see what the DRC is up to...
Nalates
GoW, GoMa and GoA apprentice - Guildmaster GoC - SL = Nalates Urriah

Return to “Domain Development”