Re-downloading Minkata Test Shard files

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

charura

Re-downloading Minkata Test Shard files

Post by charura »

My computer blew a gasket and I had to buy a new hard drive. :( My question is, how do I get the instructions to re-install Minkata shard on my new drive? I went to the foundry to re-apply for another e-mail but it says I already have an account. DOH!! I even re-set my password but that didn't help either... I use two accounts... Main is mdcostr at sbcglobal dot net Secondary is charuraw at aol dot com If I could get e-mails to both I would be grateful or if there is another way, I would need the information.. Thanx guys
Mac_Fife

Re: Re-downloading Minkata Test Shard files

Post by Mac_Fife »

Well, you don't need to recreate any accounts, and I've sent you a PM for the download. That should be all you need to get going again!
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
catherwood

Post by catherwood »

I am in a similar boat. I bought a new computer, but I could not find any direct link to that precious info about how to install the stuff to access the shard again. Is it intentional that the instructions are given only once and in an offline manner? Perhaps instructions should be posted/stickied as to how to properly request the information be sent again to an already registered user. (p.s. send me the packet, too, as I've been away for almost a year now)
00292608 on MOULa now 00310046
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Yes, it was a deliberate choice. The idea behind that was twofold: To ensure that everyone went through the full sign-up process before getting access to the link and by not posting the link publically it'd stop badly behaved search engine bots grabbing the link and hammering on it. But I agree the policy does make it awkward when you just need to do a re-install.

I'll send you the PM, but there may be an issue with the game files that Minkata expects being out of step with the current MOULa build (I've lost track on that) - I'll see if Rarified can clarify.
Mac_Fife
Marten

Post by Marten »

It may have been a deliberate choice, but ... I think I've expressed before, I don't think it is a good choice.

In an effort to be constructive about this - here is what I think would be better.

Would it be possible (and by possible, I do include "you have the time to do it" - I understand you might not) to set up a "download recovery" page in relatively plain sight, where a user can put in their username, and if they've previously gotten through all the steps to download the client before (and you should already know which people have completed the process), the site automatically sends an e-mail with a link to the page again, otherwise, sends the user to the signup process?
The music is reversible, but time is not.
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I've recently got a new computer. :mrgreen: So please may I have the link to re-download Minkata?

(Treehugger in Minkata)
sut

Post by sut »

I may be way out of line here but wouldn't having a backup solve this problem ( and no I don't have a backup ) I don't mean any ill will here just curious for my own use
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Treehugger wrote:I've recently got a new computer. :mrgreen: So please may I have the link to re-download Minkata?
Sent :)
Marten wrote:Would it be possible (and by possible, I do include "you have the time to do it" - I understand you might not) to set up a "download recovery" page in relatively plain sight...
That's not a bad idea. I re-wrote all the account creation stuff from the ground up last year for use elsewhere but the later version never found it's way onto Minkata. It wouldn't be all that hard to add that feature, but I've got a couple of other tasks in hand just now and I'd need to tie in with rarified to put the new software on the Foundry.
Mac_Fife
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

Mac_Fife wrote:
Treehugger wrote:I've recently got a new computer. :mrgreen: So please may I have the link to re-download Minkata?
Sent :)
All working now :D

(Treehugger in Minkata)
catherwood

Post by catherwood »

I meant to return here immediately and let you know that was able to reinstall everything, working fine on my Win7 computer, but of course life got in the way, followed by Mysterium. Anyway, what I really wanted to return here to post about was the instructions for installing the missing .dll files. The page I was pointed to had a link to another page which led me to a .zip file which was really an installer, and that "fixer" was going to put the .dll into the Windows system folder -- which did not seem like the way to go. Instead, I manually copied the missing .dll files from my existing MOULa folder, and installed them in my Minkata folder. This works, it makes a lot more sense to me, and is easier all around. Perhaps the instructions page needs an overhaul?
00292608 on MOULa now 00310046
00018203 on Minkata
00040424 on Gehn

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”