PhysX 9.12.1031

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

Mac_Fife

Re: PhysX 9.12.1031

Post by Mac_Fife »

That was a question I was coming to - whether your repackaging of the installer would obviate the issue?

This post seems to suggest that the Legacy Installer is also affected: http://steamcommunity.com/app/99400/dis ... 483529224/ - Incidentally, the second link in that post suggests that the registry key is a result of AV, Firewall, or script scanning software not being properly cleaned up after installation but this Win7 build has never had anything like that that isn't still installed (that I can think of).
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Hoikas

Post by Hoikas »

If the legacy installer is bugged, I doubt my repackaging it would help. It's just a NSIS script that extracts the nvidia MSI file and executes it appropriately. I was mostly intending that if we can direct the game itself to install the legacy driver, people won't have to be so careful with PhysX related changes to their graphics drivers. I don't have an nvidia card though, so I'm not sure how that works.

(EDITed because I totally misunderstood the post)
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Having thought about it a little more, I don't think it's a case of any of the installers being bugged, but rather it's something to do with VBscript in general and that registry key I mentioned. I don't recall uninstalling anything that might have left that key in an invalid state, unless it was by unintentionally removing PhysX at the outset - and the installer could be a lot clearer in explaining that if you choose not install the updated item that it'll be removed altogether.

And that's the bit I'm really not sure about - If I were to go through the same steps again for the next Nvidia update, I expect that PhysX would be removed again, but I don't know whether the Legacy Drivers would be left (since they're outside the main installation package now). But I take your point Adam, that at least Uru would then try to put back a decent version of PhysX when it detects the absence of PhysX.

I haven't checked this but is the Legacy Installer complete enough in it's own right to give you a working (for Uru) PhysX install without the "main" PhysX System Software?
Mac_Fife
Szark

Post by Szark »

So if I am using a new NVidia card I should use the PhysX 9.12.1013 Legacy Installer, correct? Yes I read the whole thread and got confused due to the high amount of geek speak. :P I only understand plain English.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

If you're installing any recent* version of PhysX (whether you have a Nvidia card or not) you will also need to use the Legacy Installer for MOUL/MOULa to work.

Although PhysX is currently at 9.14.0702, the Legacy Installer still seems to be 9.12.1031 - http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12 ... river.html

* "Recent" means any version released since November 2012.
Mac_Fife
Szark

Post by Szark »

Thanks Mac.
Szark

Post by Szark »

yep that did the trick...sweet. Thanks for the help

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”