Initial testing of the Minkata-alpha shard

Discussions about the OpenUru.org Minkata test shard

Moderator: rarified

charura

Re: Initial testing of the Minkata-alpha shard

Post by charura »

Not sure if this is even relevant but I deleted an Avatar in Minkata Prime. It was also deleted in Alpha. Re-created the same name Avatar in Alpha and it appeared in Prime. You can't do that in Moul(A) live...it says 'that name has been taken' or something like that. That being said, I went to my assigned Bevin to get my KI in Alpha and it worked for both Prime and Alpha [DRC(37)]. I sat at the Heek table in Minkata 5 times and it shows on the main hello board with my name as creator in both instances. The only thing that is different is the Cones are in the same place but the sparklies are arranged differently.

EDIT (4/12): I deleted the drc37 bevin/neighborhood book in Relto and re-created a new bevin/neighborhood in the Nexus. Both have been changed in Prime and Alpha.
charura

Post by charura »

Finished Cleft with new avvie in Minkata, All four pillars in place. Went to Minkata-Alpha shard... Pillars are there...
Emor D'ni Lap

Post by Emor D'ni Lap »

Okay, I've updated the standard Minkata dat folder per instructions; standard Minkata runs fine.

And I know I was able to test successfully with Minkata-alpha before.
I've checked my .bat file for Alpha, it's identical to the current one posted.

But when I run the batchfile (yes, from within the Minkata folder), the launcher hangs here:

...and if I click the "Cancel" button, I get this:

...but the launch does not shut down and the window has to be closed manually.

TaskManager does not show any other competing URU apps or services running that I can see.
cjkelly1

Post by cjkelly1 »

Emor D'ni Lap wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:07 pm ...but the launch does not shut down and the window has to be closed manually.
The alpha server may be down. Unfortunately, the CWE-ou client patcher does not fail gracefully when the server fails to respond.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Yes, at this time the alpha server is down. Until I have time to diagnose the database interference between it and the primary Minkata server.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Alpha is back, Explorers!

There's been some discussion about reviving Alpha in the "What can you do for Minkata" topic, and I'm moving that back here.

I've set up the Minkata-alpha shard as before, but without the ability of Minkata and Minkata-alpha to share the account lists. For most of the time this will work fine, but if you are a new user (i.e. just created a login on the OpenUru signup page), you will not be able to log into Minkata-alpha until I bring it back into synchronization with Minkata. I have done so as of Sunday 10/27, around 4pm KI time, so if you had a Minkata account, you should have a Minkata-alpha account.

I have also diagnosed the last (I hope) of the cross-shard interference between Minkata and Minkata-alpha, which means that kickables, movables, clothing/closet items, and any other state in one shard should *not* be visible in the other shard. Likewise, each shard has it's own catalog of Avatars, so creating an Avatar in one shard does not make the new one visible in the other.

One more thing is that I have found a way around having a visit to the Alpha shard invalidate your saved login credentials on the Minkata shard. Unfortunately, this means that your client configuration between the two shards is no longer shared. The first time (from this date) you visit the Minkata-alpha shard, it will be as though you were starting Minkata the first time. Graphics and audio settings will revert to their default values (i.e. full screen at 800x640 - yuk!) until you set your preferences again. Keep this in mind if you have open windows on a high resolution display as Windows will likely shrink your non-Minkata windows to fit in the 800x640 postage stamp sized graphic settings. But only on the first access to Minkata-alpha, until you change it's graphics settings.

Finally, now that I have this up and running, I'll be working to add some simple content to Minkata-alpha from Doobes and Emor. I need to write a little more code to enable me to modify the catalog of files being sent to your client, so it will be another day or so. But this is progress.

As before, use the link and instructions at the top of this topic to download the "UruLauncher-alpha.bat" file and follow instructions on how to run it. In the future, UruLauncher-alpha.bat will also be automatically downloaded/updated when you start either Minkata or Minkata-alpha.

_R
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I'm still seeing the two shards linking, rarified, sorry.

Using the same avvie as last time, I completed the cleft on alpha, and kicked around some fire marbles. Logged out, and logging in on my other laptop the equivalent avvie had also completed the cleft and had fire marbles in the same position as alpha. Both shards had updated to the new version of Minkata, so that worked ok.

(Treehugger in Minkata)
Emor_D'ni_Lap

Post by Emor_D'ni_Lap »

Did another A/B/A check this morning and can report that Main and Alpha now show no crossovers in kickables, movables, or avatar changes - in either direction.

Minkata Main also no longer sets off my AV, while Alpha still does. It's possible the .bat is doing it (though I doubt it), but my AV has no exception for batchfiles, only executables.
rarified

Post by rarified »

Treehugger wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:00 pm I'm still seeing the two shards linking, rarified, sorry.

Using the same avvie as last time, I completed the cleft on alpha, and kicked around some fire marbles. Logged out, and logging in on my other laptop the equivalent avvie had also completed the cleft and had fire marbles in the same position as alpha. Both shards had updated to the new version of Minkata, so that worked ok.
While I will check this afternoon between my laptop and desktop, this does sound like it may be “usage error”.

Can you verify that when you run alpha, you see “UruLive.Dev - Internal” on the login page, and “UruLive.Live - External” on the standard Minkata login? (I may have the text between UruLive and Internal/External wrong, I’m away from my computers).

_R
Treehugger

Post by Treehugger »

I confirm (again) that I see respectively the internal and external client headers.

(Treehugger in Minkata)

Return to “OpenUru.org Minkata Test Shard”