Cleaning Up Instancing

Community, Project, and Forum Suggestions

Moderator: OpenUru.org Moderators

realXCV

Re: Cleaning Up Instancing

Post by realXCV »

Grogyan wrote:I believe this method has the least amount of holes in it. It definitely has less holes than what Cyan had put in it.
Best of all it fits within the confines of the greater story and book mechanism
I only see one in mine so does it mean that it has no holes at all ?

EDIT: I'm just saw the updated MOUL site and... we may have to review our ideas if they don't provide the originals 3D assets and textures for existing ages.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

The only hole I see in mine is having to join private ages via the nexus or relto, which isn't really a hole imo.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

In mine, nobody can follow you between baroncityoffice and teledahn. (Unless it becomes private which would be against rules #2 and #3 of the cavern) Other than that (and what I added to my previous post), it works.
teedyo

Post by teedyo »

Frankly, I don't see the problem with the way things currently are:

Everything via Relto is private/shared.
Everything via the neighborhoods is neighborhood instanced. GZ book has to go or be replaced with a Bahro stone.
Everything via the nexus is public.

Bahro stones continue within the scope from which they are used. Don't recall if that's the way it currently is...

With this model; issues only arise if puzzle ages are added to the nexus/neighborhood. Then we have to decide things like: Are these ages limited ala Gahreesen? Does completing a puzzle here effect the explorer's 'private' version?(I would say no) Do we list both public and private versions in the nexus?(I would say no again)
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

teedyo wrote:GZ book has to go or be replaced with a Bahro stone.
The GZ is not in the same IC age/instance as the Neigborhood so a book can be used.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

Yes it is, the GZ is on top of Ae'gura, which is on the other side of the cavern from the hood, so it is the same location.

The book being placed there originally was a lazy, lazy way of handing a game mechanic, with Yeesha magic being the scape goat, it served to annoy the hell out of those of us who respect the lore/canon that Cyan set up in the first place which is why we'd rather see it removed.
realXCV

Post by realXCV »

Tweek wrote:Yes it is, the GZ is on top of Ae'gura, which is on the other side of the cavern from the hood, so it is the same location.
I know that. I was talking about the other caverns (hood instanced). The hoods themselves are in the same instance as the main ae'gura (the one in Nexus) but the GZ you access is in the hood instanced ae'gura.
Tweek

Post by Tweek »

Ah my bad, sorry.
Grogyan

Post by Grogyan »

realXCV wrote:
Tweek wrote:Yes it is, the GZ is on top of Ae'gura, which is on the other side of the cavern from the hood, so it is the same location.
I know that. I was talking about the other caverns (hood instanced). The hoods themselves are in the same instance as the main ae'gura (the one in Nexus) but the GZ you access is in the hood instanced ae'gura.
Eh?

In MOUL the hoods were instanced along with instanced Ae'Gura's to their respective hood

In Prologue, there was one Ae'Gura that i remember accessible from most places.

I figure the reasoning behind instancing the GZ, was to make sure that only one scope can be used at a time, which I think is dumb. Therefore there is no public GZ, even though it is and should be. Shouldn't be too hard code a list of users at any scope to calibrate the KI, whilst still having the option of having a hood instanced one.

UruObsession had a lot of people in their GZ when it fired, so i'm thinking that they all had to wait days to get their turn to calibrate their KI
Marten

Post by Marten »

teedyo wrote:Frankly, I don't see the problem with the way things currently are:

Everything via Relto is private/shared.
Everything via the neighborhoods is neighborhood instanced. GZ book has to go or be replaced with a Bahro stone.
Everything via the nexus is public.

Bahro stones continue within the scope from which they are used. Don't recall if that's the way it currently is...

With this model; issues only arise if puzzle ages are added to the nexus/neighborhood. Then we have to decide things like: Are these ages limited ala Gahreesen? Does completing a puzzle here effect the explorer's 'private' version?(I would say no) Do we list both public and private versions in the nexus?(I would say no again)
How things currently are, includes this little gem:

If you linked from public Ae'gura into Kadish using the book in the Kadish Gallery, you landed in your private Kadish.

Link from Kadish back to Ae'gura into the Kadish Gallery using the book (not a Bahro stone)... and you landed in neighborhood-instanced Ae'gura. (There was a back-door due to a bug in the coding, however, that if you shared the Kadish book with another person, that person would land in the public Ae'gura. This was exploited during 'Scars'.)

The backdoor was not intended... nor was the Kadish Gallery book ever meant to link to the public Ae'gura in this situation. Cyan wanted to use the Nexus to limit the total number of people in public Ae'gura. But as you can see, this is more complicated than you've described with your few rules above.
The music is reversible, but time is not.

Return to “Suggestions”