ToDo: Auth and Game Files

CyanWorlds.com Engine Project Management
Chogon
Cyantist

Re: ToDo: Auth and Game Files

Post by Chogon »

a'moaca' wrote:Thanks for addressing my questions.
Thanks for bringing them up!
I've been pulled in many directions at once lately, so I haven't had the time I wanted to think about these kind of issues. So, it is real good that someone is thinking about them!

Ok, I just uploaded the source files for the server files (python, sdl, .age and .fni files) in a generically called zip file: Scripts.zip

Thanks!
Mark
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Thanks!

Here's the (case-sensitive) linky:

http://assets.openuru.org/cyan/cho/Scripts.zip

Anything in the assets subdomain can only be used (downloaded) from within OpenUru.org. Also, Cyan/Cho materials will be moved before release.
Perfect speed is being there.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

Looking over the files in that zip, I don't see anything that makes GPL inappropriate, provided that the downstream repercussions that a'moaca' was highlighting are indeed intended.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Mac_Fife wrote:Looking over the files in that zip, I don't see anything that makes GPL inappropriate, provided that the downstream repercussions that a'moaca' was highlighting are indeed intended.
Regarding that, these two new FAQs might be useful:
viewtopic.php?p=3750#p3750
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

It appears we have agreement to make these sources available, so I will move on that unless there is any further caution.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

I think there is still some value in the files originally provided, especially the auth files. Using those, one would not have to set up to compile and encrypt the Python themselves. Whatever system Cyan used to take this source, add the "glue", compile, and encrypt is not currently being built or anything. If we even have it.

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yes, I've already cleared that with Mark. The compiled/encrypted Game and Auth file zips, as-is, will be available as well.
a'moaca'

Post by a'moaca' »

I was wondering last night if we should be putting the Python source in a repository?

The other files are not likely to need modification since they are what I'd call descriptive. They say something about what the age is.

But the Python says what the age *does* (in part). In addition, it manages many things that aren't really content, for example your buddy list. There are definitely real bugs in the Python. People will want to fix them. Would it not make sense, as the caretaker of the rest of the client, for OpenUru.org to also host a Python repository? I think it would need more branches than the client, but I can imagine real advantages to having a centralized repository of Python fixes.

For a while I was that repository for pre-MOUL fixes. :(

- a'moaca'
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

Yep, makes sense. Though I might class them as generically as Mark did, calling them scripts instead of Python. So maybe CWES (CWE Scripts)?

I actually labeled GameFiles.zip and AuthFiles.zip as "binaries" in the wiki page for Cyan downloads for lack of a better implied meaning to the GPL, trying to address why you won't find a license in those zip files. Hey, even ASCII text is still comprised of binary values, right? ;) I didn't think "Descriptions" carries as much meaning even though it is more, well, descriptive.
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

JWPlatt wrote:I actually labeled GameFiles.zip and AuthFiles.zip as "binaries" in the wiki page for Cyan downloads for lack of a better implied meaning to the GPL, trying to address why you won't find a license in those zip files.
Hmm... Then it's not really complying with the GPL if you don't get a copy of the license with the download. If the license isn't in the files, then it should be a text file accompanying them, often named "COPYING" - making it something you need to download seperately is often regarded as bad practice. If you don't want to disturb the original Cyan supplied zip files, then I'd re-wrap each into a new zip along with a COPYING file.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler

Return to “Management”