What needs to be done with the Plugin?

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Nye_Sigismund

Re: What needs to be done with the Plugin?

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

I put out a call on http://www.polycount.com, here - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthre ... ost1330731

The best place to ask about this kind of stuff is an old community full of friendly people, so I hope at least one person will step forward. :)
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Lehm

Post by Lehm »

Nye_Sigismund wrote:I put out a call on http://www.polycount.com, here - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthre ... ost1330731

The best place to ask about this kind of stuff is an old community full of friendly people, so I hope at least one person will step forward. :)
Might want to try cgsociety they have a forum dedicated to max sdk/scripting.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Lehm wrote:Might want to try cgsociety they have a forum dedicated to max sdk/scripting.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98
They also have a newbie review policy, so first posts have to be authorised. :| I've put up a post anyway, here's hoping they're happy with me putting out a call there - I don't use CGsociety myself.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Chisaipete

Post by Chisaipete »

So, it looks like it MAY be possible to build CWE against the Max 2011 SDK libs I have. Unfortunately, I'm tired tonight, so I don't want to deal with it--using VS 2008 Express. I'm thinking I'm going to have to do something similar to this: http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... _MSVC_2003
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

There's probably a fair amount of work to get the plugin to build under VS2008 Express. Cyan used VS2003.NET and built using custom C++ and Python scripts which they haven't released (probably did a global build of a whole lot of things that aren't our concern) and cjkelly1 only made changes to get the client building under the VS2003.NET Solution files, so you'll be breaking new ground, I think. Need to be careful as there's a lot of code common to both the client and the plugin.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Chisaipete

Post by Chisaipete »

So, after pouring over my Autodesk End-User License Agreement--I can't seem to find any loopholes that would work.

In particular:
You may Access the application programming interfaces that may be included with or in the Software or otherwise available from Autodesk for use with the Software (“API’s”) to develop programs, modules, components or functionality that (i) are compatible with and are used and/or interfaced with the Software and (ii) contribute significant value-added functionality or enhancements to the Software (“API Modules”) provided You may Install and Access such API Modules solely on Computers where a licensed copy of the Software is also installed and further provided such Installation and Access is solely in connection with Your Installation and Access of the Software and solely for Your internal business needs. You may not redistribute all or any portion of an API Module.
Also:
The Software is licensed to You as a single product and its components may not be separated for Installation Access or distribution on more than one (1) Computer unless expressly permitted by Autodesk in the applicable User Documentation.
Here:
You may not Install or Access, or allow the Installation or Access of, the Autodesk Materials over the Internet, including, without limitation, use in connection with a Web hosting, commercial time-sharing, service bureau, or similar service, or make the Autodesk Materials available to third parties via the Internet on Your computer system or otherwise.
But there is another, more interesting section:
10.2 Exceptions. Notwithstanding the provisions set forth in Section 3.2.6 (Modifications):
10.2.1 You may Access, if provided, any scripting language to customize and extend the Software.
10.2.2 With regard to the Software, You may make a Modification (defined below) solely for your internal business needs for designing, developing, and testing of an application program designed to function with the Software for your internal use in producing multimedia content ("Your Application").
10.2.3 If: (i) the Redistributable Component (defined below) operates with the Software and with Your Application; and (ii) the Redistributable Component is linked to Your Application; then you may reproduce and distribute the Redistributable Component and Your Application together, subject to your strict adherence to all of the following terms and conditions:
(a) the class identifications for any classes of objects You created shall be different from and clearly distinguishable from the class identifications used by Autodesk;
(b) modified Sample code and any resulting binary files in Your Application are identified as developed by You, and not by Autodesk;
(c) Your Application has Your copyright notice;
(d) any Modification, and resulting binary files, shall include the copyright notices of Autodesk, Inc. as well as the following statement: "This software contains copyrighted code owned by Autodesk, Inc. but has been modified and is not endorsed by Autodesk, Inc." The language of the copyright notice and the statement shall be in the same language as the Software language;
(e) distribution is strictly for not-for-profit purposes;
(f) distribution is either in binary form or text form;
(g) distribution is subject to a standard form of click-through end-user license agreement which license agreement, among other things:
(I) protects Autodesk's interests consistent with the terms of this Agreement;
(II) prohibits the redistribution of the Redistributable Component;
(h) In addition to the foregoing, if the Redistributable Component operates with the Autodesk 3ds Max Software and/or Autodesk 3ds Max Design Software and with Your Application then prior to reproduction and distribution of the Redistributable Component and Your Application all MIDI files have been excluded from the Redistributable Component and Your Application;
(i) You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Autodesk and its affiliates from and against any and all damages, costs, losses, liabilities, expenses and settlement amounts incurred in connection with any suit, claim or action by any third party alleging that the Redistributable Component and/or Your Application infringes or misappropriates any patent, copyrights, moral rights, trademark, trade secret and design rights, whether registered or unregistered, and including any application for registration of any of the foregoing and all rights or forms of protections of a similar nature having equivalent or similar effect to any of these, which may subsist anywhere in the world, of such third party.
3.2.6 Modifications. You may not modify, translate, adapt, arrange, or create derivative works based on the Autodesk Materials for any purpose.
If anyone wants to fall asleep reading this, I can get you a copy of the agreement.
JWPlatt

Post by JWPlatt »

I am in the process of contacting Autodesk through a local educational reseller of 3ds Max. I need to provide a description of what it is we do here, and what we're trying to accomplish, for someone who has never heard of Cyan Worlds. Links and references would be helpful. Anyone want to take a stab at that and send it to me in a PM? It might be attractive to give them a sponsorship, but they didn't ask for it. Otherwise, I'll do my best.

JW
Perfect speed is being there.
Chisaipete

Post by Chisaipete »

It may be important to distinguish that the source is extending from Cyan Worlds Inc. but it is a community driven project/group that would need the sponsorship. Totally non-commercial and non-profit (without non-profit status).
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

I've found a Max 8 SDK. I'll try and get things set up on my end tonight, but I have almost no experience in programming. I guess this is the point where I learn. :\ I'll review Autodesk's basic tutorials, I guess.

There was a long discussion recently on #Writers about possible problems with GPL code (the Cyan plugin) being bundled with non GPL code and distributed. It's a legal wrangle but it does have some important legal issues.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Christian Walther

Post by Christian Walther »

Mac_Fife wrote:There's probably a fair amount of work to get the plugin to build under VS2008 Express. Cyan used VS2003.NET and built using custom C++ and Python scripts which they haven't released (probably did a global build of a whole lot of things that aren't our concern) and cjkelly1 only made changes to get the client building under the VS2003.NET Solution files, so you'll be breaking new ground, I think. Need to be careful as there's a lot of code common to both the client and the plugin.
The client at https://github.com/H-uru/Plasma (reportedly) builds with Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 (not Express). Not sure how much of the plugin that includes. Given the speed at which the guys there are making progress, I wouldn’t be surprised to see VS Express compatibility soon.

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”