What needs to be done with the Plugin?

Discussions About CyanWorlds.com Engine Client & Plugin
Nye_Sigismund

What needs to be done with the Plugin?

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Whilst the GoW are doing great work with the client, nobody is working on the 3ds Max plugin.

I'm considering making a few posts on a few forums, seeing if any extra-Uru 3DS Max developers would be interested in getting on board both getting the plugin into a buildable state, as well as porting it to Max 9+ (ideally to 2009 onwards).

So here's an open question - what needs to be done to get the plugin building properly? And what needs to be done to get it ported?
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
rarified

Re: What needs to be done with the Plugin?

Post by rarified »

First impression and shooting from the hip: We need the SDK, which if I understand correctly is only available bundled with 3ds Max distribution media. I don't have a copy of Max for the foundry, so I can't do much in terms of a general offering right now.

Maybe they have a discounted offering for non-profit or open source organizations, but I havn't investigated.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
rarified

Post by rarified »

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it.... There's a connector between Visual Studio and an already installed SDK, but none of those items actually contains the SDK we need. Thanks for looking though.

_R
One of the OpenUru toolsmiths... a bookbinder.
Chisaipete

Post by Chisaipete »

I have a full (legitimate) commercial license of the newest 3ds MAX 2012 + SDK installed on my machine. I believe I'd be happy to take on this project, but i'll need to fully realize it's scale this evening.
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Chisaipete wrote:I have a full (legitimate) commercial license of the newest 3ds MAX 2012 + SDK installed on my machine. I believe I'd be happy to take on this project, but i'll need to fully realize it's scale this evening.
Great news! But will the 2012 SDK work with this plugin's source code?
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Chisaipete

Post by Chisaipete »

I'm guessing NO, but I'll delve into it when I get a chance later today and try and give some more substantial answers. I'm going to download the code and breeze through it at lunch (12:30 PST) :) I'm at work.

EDIT: Some thoughts

I seem to remember that with 3DS Max 2009 there were some pretty major back-end overhauls of the whole 3ds Max System. To what extent plugins were affected probably depends on which depreciated functions and methods Cyan was using.
Last edited by Chisaipete on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Good to hear. I might have found an older SDK - Max 8, in fact - but I need to check it first.
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR
Mac_Fife

Post by Mac_Fife »

My understanding is that Max 7 and Max 8 APIs were reasonably similar to the extent that the Max 7 based Plugin would work OK with Max 8. Like Chisaipete, I think there was a major overhaul in Max 9 that broke that compatibility and almost certainly means that the SDK wrapping will need to be revisited. Hopefully, it doesn't imply a wholescale rewrite and a bit of judicious tweaking of function calls will suffice, but in the absence of an up-to-date SDK myself, I'm just hoping ;) .

It'd be good if we could get the plugin built for as may different versions of Max as possible: 3ds Max is a pricey piece of software so allowing folks to use what they can easiliy get hold of rather than pinning them to one or two specific versions will be a big help.
Mac_Fife
OpenUru.org wiki wrangler
Nye_Sigismund

Post by Nye_Sigismund »

Ideally, and this might well be really, really hard, is a plugin that works in newer versions of Max that can save into a format that the current Max 7 plugin can read. Can modern .max files even be opened by old Max versions? Hmm. :\
Huw Dawson
Team Member
Team OSCAR

Return to “CyanWorlds.com Engine - Client & Plugin”